Location: Toledo, Ohio – United States
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Advanced Accountant role supports the businesses in a broad range of Operations Accounting activities. The position works directly with the Senior Accountant, Accounting Leaders and Business Segments, supporting the effective execution of Operations Accounting’s Goals and Objectives through:
- Ensuring accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close activities;
- Assisting with analyzing business segment financial statements and reporting on variances;
- Effectively monitoring the control environment
In addition, the Advanced Accountant will assist with project work, process improvements and technical accounting research. In all aspects of the position, the Advanced Accountant demonstrates clear and effective communication, teamwork and commitment to the success of Owens Corning.
Reports to: Senior Accountant
Span of Control: n/a
- Executes an Effective Financial Close Cycle (30%)
- Demonstrates clear thought process around decision-making criteria, always acting ethically and responsibly.
- Ensures integrity, quality, and confidentiality of financial and non-financial data
- Facilitates and completes monthly, quarterly and year end close cycle
- Provides timely and accurate financial statements for assigned business segments
- Proactively assists with comprehensive review and analyses of data
- Considered a valued partner
- Consistently improves the closing process
- Seeks out opportunities to improve each financial close cycle through understanding the root cause of issues encountered and demonstrates ability to find alternative solutions to straightforward and complex tasks
- Recognizes opportunities to improve current process inefficiencies through thoughtful analysis
- Identifies ways to coordinate and consolidate processes
- Partners with Shared Services to ensure successful transition of work
- Works closely with Accounting Leaders on critical financial matters
- Controllership (40%)
- Assists with the review of financial information
- Ensures that account reconciliations are prepared and reviewed in accordance with OC policy
- Seeks to improve the account reconciliation process
- Works directly with Corporate Accounting leaders to help resolve issues and concerns in a timely manner within the period the issue and/or concern is identified
- Develop technical accounting capabilities by performing baseline research of accounting policy and guidance, and collaborating with team members to form initial accounting position.
- Continuously builds an intimate knowledge of our businesses in order to provide insightful analysis of operating performance and financial statements
- Assists with development of regional and consolidated Balance Sheet Reviews, and participates in periodic meetings with finance and accounting leaders.
- Obtains and maintains a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure
- Develop and document sound, consistent and sustainable processes and controls for the various functional areas of responsibility
- Demonstrates that s/he thinks independently without prompting
- Demonstrates that s/he is a team player, operating effectively through mature and sound interpersonal communication skills
- Works well with others
- Supports the team concept
- Shares information fully and timely
- Incorporating Analytics (20%)
- Recognizes issues, problems, or opportunities and determines whether action is needed
- Assists with developing and improving analytical tools through consistent use of the application
- Creates relevant options for addressing problems/opportunities and achieving desired outcomes
- Interprets information through integrating data from a variety of sources, detects trends, associations, and cause-effect relationships
- Assists in decision making by providing good information, allowing to make the most appropriate decisions, and ensuring buy-in
- Consults with internal customers as the SAP, BPC and BI user expert to provide understanding of the system and assist in troubleshooting
- Contributes to department and organization special projects as assigned
- Partners with Accounting Leaders and Corporate Functions (10%)
- Develops strong working relationships with various stakeholders in Operations Accounting, CFS, Business Segments, Sourcing
- Demonstrates keen listening skills and is consultative on business issues
- Works closely with all constituents and peers in implementing best practices and delivering the best solution to the Business
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required
- Demonstrated ability to identify, develop, and implement process improvements
- Experience with SAP, Business Objects, and Business Warehouse or similar systems required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Process focused and organized work style
- Strong accounting skills and business acumen
- Ability to act and operate independently with minimal daily direction from leader to accomplish objectives
- Strong financial analysis skills. Identifies associations between seemingly independent events to recognize trends in financial forecasts, problems before they arise and possible cause-effect relationships
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a customer service focus
- Organized, deliberate, and reliable in structuring work, and effective problem solver. Experience in working on cross-functional and multi-department enterprise-wide projects
- Ability to question and challenge the business segment on reserve requirements and the recording of liabilities
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 16,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 62 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
Back to top