VP of Technology
Who We Are:
Outdoor Voices is an active lifestyle brand. We believe in freeing fitness from performance, and embracing activity with ease, humor, and delight. We feel that Doing Things – moving your body and having fun with friends – outlasts a win when it comes to inspiring sustainably active lives. Our mission is to get people out there and Doing Things together, and to redefine recreation as part of everyday life.
Outdoor Voices Founder and CEO Tyler Haney was always an athlete, but stopped resonating with the neon/black/mesh apparel on the market and the harder, faster, stronger mentality that went with it. She realized that what inspired her to stay active was completely different – more balanced, fun, and freeing – than the pressure to perform that once fueled her competitive edge. While studying at Parsons School of Design, she became obsessed with technical fabrics and shortly after graduation set out to create a new category of activewear.
To free fitness from performance.
Technical Apparel for Recreation.
To spark bonds through activity and redefine recreation as part of everyday life.
We are casual joggers, dog walkers, hikers, dribble-dribblers, and team players who integrate activity into everything we do –from product design to team culture. Our goal is to grow the OV Community by participating in it, to inspire Doing Things together by Doing Things, together.
About The Role:
We have built an incredible product, brand, and community. We are looking for a world-class engineer to join our leadership team and lead the charge in scaling our technical teams and platforms (Mobile, eCommerce, Web, and Internal Products) as we rapidly scale our business. The right candidate is a great engineer, a great manager/communicator, and a great team builder. S/he has the business acumen to understand OV’s strategic goals and the leadership qualities to align the engineering team to achieve them. This person will operate with a focus on making everyone in the engineering organization successful through mentorship, achieving success and scale.
What We Are Looking For:
- A strong engineer with experience in scaling eCommerce software. S/he does not have to know everything cold, but should have a wealth of experience and good judgment to draw upon to lend strong assistance and guidance to the team. S/he is familiar with the software development life cycle and with its common hazards and pitfalls. This person knows how to plan out a project from concept to completion, how to avoid the trouble spots, and how to navigate the team through what cannot be avoided.
- This engineer focuses on consistency, oversees the development process and standards, sets expectations and ensures that the end result is consistent and repeatable. S/he maintains the highest quality standards in principles, design, programming, launch efforts, product maintenance, system stability, and process.
- S/he has a solid grasp on the business, engages deeply with the product, marketing, and creative teams to ensure business goals are met via ongoing product development. This person translates business and product needs into well organized, well executed engineering projects.
- This person is a great communicator, able to communicate well internally and externally about the current work and future roadmap.
- S/he is a great player and coach, team leader, and project mentor. This person leads the effort to find and cultivate engineering talent, is good at growing and directing the team, and is good at recruiting/hiring/performance managing where needed. S/he finds success and growth of the team members to be rewarding and believes the role is to enable and support them.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work cross-functionally to drive ideas from conception to execution, create process and specifications, develop new business models and plan features, set and analyze success metrics
- Translate product vision and strategy into customer ready platforms
- Manage project priorities, milestones, progress, and issues
- Develop process and plan features
- Design and execute processes for workflow and standards
- Improve code quality and foster a culture of strong engineering design
- Ship beautiful and functional products for our customers
- Proactively identify problems that arise in the platforms, outline options, and recommend solutions
- Develop and manage an annual department budget
- Oversee all expenditures to ensure they are in line with fiscal requirements
- Inspire, lead, and grow a team of engineers
Background and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in CS or a related technical field
- 10+ years of software development experience, and specific experience with eCommerce
- 4+ years managing other individuals
- 3+ years as an engineering lead or design engineer
- Agile and able to work in a start-up environment
- Demonstrated technical project management skills
- Familiar with building, launching, and supporting products that are used globally
- Experience with owning production KPIs and service levels
- Evident leadership skills; a proven record of building strong teams, setting high performance standards, challenging people to excel and eliciting their sustained high performance
- Competitive compensation package
- Health insurance
- The latest OV gear and—of course—Recreation
Back to top