VP of Marketing
Who We Are:
Outdoor Voices is an active lifestyle brand. We believe in freeing fitness from performance, and embrace activity with ease, humor, and delight. We feel that Doing Things – moving your body and having fun with friends – outlasts a win when it comes to inspiring sustainably active lives. Our mission is to get people out there and Doing Things together, to redefine recreation as part of everyday life.
Outdoor Voices Founder and CEO Tyler Haney was always an athlete, but stopped resonating with the neon/black/mesh apparel on the market and the harder, faster, stronger mentality that went with it. She realized that what inspired her to stay active was completely different – more balanced, fun, and freeing – than the pressure to perform that once fueled her competitive edge. While studying at Parsons School of Design, she became obsessed with technical fabrics and shortly after graduation set out to create a new category of activewear.
Freeing fitness from performance.
Technical Apparel for Recreation.
To spark bonds through activity and redefine recreation as part of everyday life.
We’re casual joggers, dog walkers, hikers, dribble-dribblers, and team players who integrate activity into everything we do –from product design to team culture. Our goal is to grow the OV Community by participating in it, to inspire Doing Things together by Doing Things, together.
About the role:
We’ve built an incredible product, brand, and community. We’re looking for a world-class Marketing professional to join our team and lead the charge on creating, articulating, and implementing a consistent, overarching brand and digital marketing strategy. The new VP of Marketing will have responsibility for the design and development of an integrated marketing strategy focused on accelerating brand awareness with the target customer segments. This new strategy will span every customer touch-point and should further differentiate OV from its competitors and drive business growth by attracting more customers and maintaining brand loyalty.
The VP of Marketing will be a proven change agent, catalyst and authentic brand ambassador. Of critical importance, the candidate will be expected to envision, develop and lead a best-in-class omni channel customer experience rooted in exceptional service and experience. This includes partnering with cross-functional teams to identify and implement a consistent approach to gathering customer feedback across all touch points (online, retail, customer service, social media, mobile and email). Consumer insights will inform initiatives, affect behaviors and drive customer contact and engagement strategies across OV through collaboration with others and the application of design thinking to facilitate innovation and the development of new service models.
Specific Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
Marketing Strategy and Vision: Own the Outdoor Voices brand and be the “voice of the customer”. This includes building a clear view and understanding of the Outdoor Voices target customer and tailoring all aspects of the brand around them. Oversee creative development of marketing programs and provide creative guidance to our online and offline marketing efforts so that current and prospective customers, publishers, affiliates, and the media engage with OV and perceive a clear sense of our purpose.
Customer Acquisition and Retention: Generate new customers via paid and organic search, social media programs, e-mail marketing, SEO, and other online marketing initiatives while also bringing new consumers into the fold via more traditional offline measures. Own go to market plans. Creatively use the latest techniques to build the user base and maximize existing customer value through a range of re-marketing strategies and programs.
Site Merchandising: Optimize site conversion through site merchandising programs and outreach. Work to create compelling events and data-driven, customized shopping experiences. Utilize market research, consumer surveys, and data to understand consumer needs, discover competitive and functional gaps and identify new merchandising opportunities that convey a consistent brand image and user experience that fits into OV goals.
Public Relations: Develop media relation strategies that elevate Outdoor Voices’s visibility as a high value, trusted brand. Oversee the organization’s representation in the media. Develop short- and long-term plans and budgets for the marketing / communications / public relations – monitoring progress and performance.
Partnership Marketing and Event Marketing: Seek out new partnerships for co-marketing opportunities. Conceive and execute memorable special events that attract positive publicity, reward existing customers, attract new customers and respected partners.
Business and Product Strategy: Actively participate in shaping the short and long-term strategy of Outdoor Voices. Provide an enjoyable and engaging experience throughout the customer journey, driving a high-touch experience with best in class NPS. Work closely with the eCommerce team to develop high- impact future features and products.
Management: Foster a best-in-class marketing team through recruitment, career development and mentoring of staff. Develop and manage an annual department budget. Oversee all expenditures to ensure they are in line with fiscal requirements.
- A proven track record of creating a best-in-class, digitally led, integrated, brand experience capability within a landscape that is consumer-facing and customer centric.
- A passion for customers and current in “all things digital” (internet, social, mobile). An understanding of the nuances and expectations of a customer led, solution-oriented company.
- A collaborative and results-oriented leader, business partner and change agent who can lead through influence and who possesses professional maturity and industry credibility.
- Extensive experience working across an organization, and an ability to develop programs and plans based on quantitative analysis using customer insights and data.
- A history of activating and operationalizing strategies that produce clear value for all stakeholders.
- An individual who dares to be innovative, and thrives in a friendly and fast-paced environment.
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities and is a catalyst to get things done.
- Analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use hard data and metrics to back up current assumptions.
- Verbal and written communications skills, as well as the ability to work effectively across internal and external organizations.
- Presentation skills and the ability to articulate complex concepts to cross-functional audiences.
- Non-conforming attitude with an appetite to attack the status quo in the space using unorthodox methods and with a willingness to take risks.
- Solid business judgment and a willingness to roll up your sleeves and do what's necessary to make programs happen.
- You enjoy activity.
- 10+ years of relevant work experience in consumer marketing, product marketing and/or high technology consumer companies. Online experience preferred.
- Proven ability to drive innovative and effective marketing programs that generate results through both online and offline channels, including SEO/SEM, affiliates, display, email, out of home, print, and social.
- Be able to bridge data analysis, primary and secondary research, competitive intelligence and marketing savvy to build powerful marketing and communication programs.
- Strong sense of brand and editorial voice; the ability to harmonize message across multiple channels and marketing vehicles.
- Proven ability to manage, develop, and retain a high-performing team in a fast- paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to successfully influence multiple stakeholders and lead cross functional teams across geographies.
- Diligent budget ownership, successfully balancing marketing effectiveness, brand, and costs.
- General business and financial acumen combined with demonstrated creative thinking ability.
- Evident leadership skills; a proven record of building strong teams, setting high performance standards, challenging people to excel and eliciting their sustained high performance.
- Bachelor Degree required, MBA is preferred
- Competitive salary and equity
- Health insurance
- The latest OV gear and—of course—Recreation
Back to top