Director of Technical Design
Who We Are:
Outdoor Voices is an active lifestyle brand. We believe in freeing fitness from performance, and embrace activity with ease, humor, and delight. We feel that Doing Things – moving your body and having fun with friends – outlasts a win when it comes to inspiring sustainably active lives. Our mission is to get people out there and Doing Things together, to redefine recreation as part of everyday life.
Outdoor Voices Founder and CEO Tyler Haney was always an athlete, but stopped resonating with the neon/black/mesh apparel on the market and the harder, faster, stronger mentality that went with it. She realized that what inspired her to stay active was completely different – more balanced, fun, and freeing – than the pressure to perform that once fueled her competitive edge. While studying at Parsons School of Design, she became obsessed with technical fabrics and shortly after graduation set out to create a new category of activewear.
Freeing fitness from performance.
Technical Apparel for Recreation.
To spark bonds through activity and redefine recreation as part of everyday life.
We’re casual joggers, dog walkers, hikers, dribble-dribblers, and team players who integrate activity into everything we do –from product design to team culture. Our goal is to grow the OV Community by participating in it, to inspire Doing Things together by Doing Things, together.
About the role:
We’ve built incredible product, brand, and community. We are now looking for a world class individual to join our product team to help develop concepts through to innovative, functional and beautiful apparel.
The Senior Technical Designer will act as a leader within the Technical Design and Product team owning and driving the construction and fit process, ensuring and maintaining technical standards across our product categories and supporting the seasonal calendar process. We feel that consistency, construction and innovation are differentiators in our business so the individual must possess both an understanding for process and structure but continue to be curious.
Specific Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Lead and manage our team of Technical Designers
- Ensure the key technical design activities across one or more product categories from design concept through production
- Building technical packages including Bill of Materials, specs, pattern blocks, construction, etc.
- Responsible for establishing category standards for fit, construction and quality
- Directly responsible for running fit sessions on live models then making fit changes via pattern corrections
- Responsible for establishing pattern blocks for the category and maintaining a pattern library
- Communication with overseas vendors
- Collaboratively working on seasonal tracking of prototype samples in conjunction with our local and overseas Production team
- Accountable for meeting development calendar dates and start of production timelines
- Ability to work effectively cross-functionally; Must be able to
- Support the fabric and trim team with construction and use feedback
- effectively problem solve design, costing, quality and delivery issues
- Domestic and overseas travel as necessary
- Give product presentations related to fit and construction
About you: (minimum requirements)
- 5 + years relative industry experience, 2 years specifically in active wear or similar fabric profiles
- Bachelor’s Degree from a 4+ year Fashion Design program
- Advanced patternmaking skills (must have on the job experience, not classes/theory only)
- Expert in product standards, garment construction, sizing and grading
- Proven ability to communicate effectively and influence cross-functionally
- Experience fitting on live models, including size sets; ability to recommend changes in grading
- Advanced knowledge of garment construction, athletic
- Expertise building Development & Production Tech Packs
- Proficient in Adobe Illustrator
- Proficient in a PDM/PLM system
- Factory travel is a plus
- Must have managed a product line
- Love activity
- Competitive salary and equity
- Health insurance
- The latest OV gear and—of course—Recreation
Back to top