Director of Design
Who We Are:
Outdoor Voices is an active lifestyle brand. We believe in freeing fitness from performance, and embrace activity with ease, humor, and delight. We feel that Doing Things – moving your body and having fun with friends – outlasts a win when it comes to inspiring sustainably active lives. Our mission is to get people out there and Doing Things together, to redefine recreation as part of everyday life.
Outdoor Voices Founder and CEO Tyler Haney was always an athlete, but stopped resonating with the neon/black/mesh apparel on the market and the harder, faster, stronger mentality that went with it. She realized that what inspired her to stay active was completely different – more balanced, fun, and freeing – than the pressure to perform that once fueled her competitive edge. While studying at Parsons School of Design, she became obsessed with technical fabrics and shortly after graduation set out to create a new category of activewear.
Freeing fitness from performance.
Technical Apparel for Recreation.
To spark bonds through activity and redefine recreation as part of everyday life.
We’re casual joggers, dog walkers, hikers, dribble-dribblers, and team players who integrate activity into everything we do –from product design to team culture. Our goal is to grow the OV Community by participating in it, to inspire Doing Things together by Doing Things, together.
About the role:
We’ve built incredible product, brand, and community. We are now looking for a world class individual to join our product team to help develop concepts through to innovative, functional and beautiful apparel.
The Director of Design will act as a leader within the Design team not only sketching and supporting the inspiration process but working closely with our Tech, Materials, Merchants and strategic partners to drive the product development and seasonal design process. The Director of Design must understand the intricacies of garment construction in their design and equally want to challenge what exists today.
Specific Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Help inspire and guide the design team
- Manage team timelines/calendar adherence on a seasonal basis
- Support the off-cycle innovation process
- Manage themselves and team to sketching requirements (roadmap)
- Constantly looking for trends and market opportunities
- Support managing the team to a seasonal budget
About you: (minimum requirements)
- 7 + years of apparel design experience
- Training, athletic wear, yoga, running, cycling, technical sportswear
- 3 + years managing a team
- Use of PLM systems
- Strong illustrator and photo shop skills
- Understand body movement and design for use, not just concept
- Technical flat sketching
- Trend searching (including fabric & trim)
- Strong understanding of garment construction
- Love activity
- Competitive salary and equity
- Health insurance
- The latest OV gear and—of course—Recreation
Back to top