Software Engineering Manager
WE ARE OUTCOME ACTIVATORS
We are a health-tech company on a mission to activate the best health outcome possible for every person in the world. We solve hard problems - healthcare is a fragmented industry and we’re transforming it by creating an ecosystem through our technology platform that brings together all the players to collectively improve patient outcomes. Our team is entrepreneurial and thrives in ambiguity with a strong commitment to scrappy excellence to drive patient impact. We empower every Outcome Activator to own their decisions and outcomes in service to the mission, while also contributing to a collaborative environment that’s communally competitive.
With hubs in Chicago and NYC, we've been growing 100% YoY and will impact half a billion patient visits in 2017, as physicians, life science companies and patients adopt our technology platform to make better health decisions during the most critical moments of care. With 200,000 physicians already utilizing our portfolio of 5 products at their practices, we continue to bring a fresh outlook to our pursuits with humble invincibility, whether you’re a new addition or have been hustling with us since the beginning.
Join our family to activate good in the world.
WHO ARE YOU
You are an energetic engineering people leader with expertise developing products in the enterprise, mobile or healthcare space. You’ll work with all aspects of the product and platform development, including collaborating with hardware, media content and design engineering teams to build our end to end platform solutions.
As a platform manager, it’s essential that you have the breadth of knowledge to lead development of a contemporary microservices-based architecture. Practical development experience using Java and other services languages is required for the right candidate to succeed. You should be curious about technology and open to learning about and applying new innovations from the rest of the software industry.
You have a passion for contributing to the development of high-performance teams through rigorous goal-setting, disciplined attention to performance metrics, continuous process improvement and mentorship. You are delight in managing people to their fullest potential and thrive in a culture of innovation.
You understand that leveraging technology is a means to an end, accomplishing the mission of building a decision platform that positively impacts the health outcome for every person, everywhere. You want to build things that matter.
- This is a predominantly management role with 80% management and 20% code contribution.
- Understand your team, enable their career development while managing their performance.
- Provide technical guidance, mentorship, and assistance your direct reports.
- Build trust and alignment across the organization and between teams. Support a culture of responsibility and pride of quality.
- Deliver projects and releases across multiple teams on time by identifying and mitigating risks through the development process. Identify and resolve project technical dependencies.
- Evaluate teams and describe resourcing gaps. Hire/train new team members.
- Monitor team velocity and help teams improve. Own the escalation path for impediments.
- Collaborate with Architects, Product Managers and Technical Program Managers to manage the Product Backlog in a way that balances the needs of the technology and the business.
- Develop training resources for team members.
- Facilitate team stand-ups, planning, and review meetings as Functional Manager.
- Advanced degree (Phd/MSc) or equivalent industry experience
- 6+ years of Software Engineering management experience
- 10+ years of professional software development experience
- 5+ years of Java experience
- 5+ years of experience developing service layer software
- 5+ years of working within AWS technologies
- Professional understanding of API development
- Experience creating or utilizing Service Oriented Architectures
- Experience working within Scrum is required.
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and project management to understand requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
- Thorough understanding of software architecture and object-oriented design
- Strong knowledge of software development methodologies and best practices
- Must be willing to travel to NYC up to 25%
Behaviors and Abilities Required:
- Ability to adapt and handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to drive a project throughout the full software development lifecycle.
- Work effectively and remain focused during periods of ambiguity
- Manage risk.
- Be an effective communicator and teacher, able to bridge gaps within the organization through collaboration
Meet Some of Outcome Health's Employees
Sam works hard to ensure that the executives he supports can use their time as effectively and as efficiently as possible.
Back to top