Senior Counsel, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- New York, NY
Hi, we're Oscar. We’re hiring a Senior Counsel, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation to join our Legal team in our New York office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, and human. We need your help to do so.
As Senior Counsel, you will be a key member of the Legal team responsible for providing advice and counsel on employee benefits, executive compensation and employment matters. This position works closely with Oscar’s People team, as well as Oscar’s leadership team.
Oscar is a dynamic, exciting and fast paced environment. You should be comfortable in an ever changing environment as we continue to grow!
- Provide advice on executive compensation including long-term incentive compensation; deferred compensation; employment, change in control, and severance agreements; and related issues under Internal Revenue Code Sections 280G and 409A.
- Negotiate, structure and implement equity compensation plans, bonus plans, deferred compensation arrangements, and change of control agreements
- Counsel on executive compensation and employment law matters, in the context of mergers and acquisitions, financings, and other corporate transactions.
- Advise and negotiate employment agreements, separation agreements, and noncompete agreements
- Be a primary point of contact for the People team to support their strategy and objectives
- Partner with People team and Leadership on employment matters
- Help to develop, implement and continually improve company and team processes and procedures with respect to employee benefits matters
- J.D. from an ABA accredited law school
- 8+ years of relevant experience at a top tier law firm and/or in-house
- Experience in a variety of complex benefits, executive compensation, and employment matters
- Experience managing and overseeing sensitive matters
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both oral and written, with a proven ability to build strong interpersonal relationships and work cross-functionally
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience working in the healthcare industry or insurance industry
- Experience with startups
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, and we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, and volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.
Back to top