Manager, Market P+L - West
- Los Angeles, CA
Hi, we're Oscar. We’re hiring a Manager to join our Market P+L team in our Los Angeles Office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, and human. We need your help to do so.
The Market P+L team is responsible for overseeing our provider network across various markets and managing our relationships to drive those markets to P+L success. As Markets P+L Manager, you will be responsible for working with the team to maximize risk-adjusted profitability across Oscar’s book of business through partnering with both network health system providers and internal stakeholders. The role will combine responsibilities for managing relationships with our core partners as well as day-to-day project management, process improvement and negotiation.
You will report into our Director, Market P+L.
Deliverables: What you have to achieve
During your first six weeks,
- Quickly develop an informed view of Oscar’s network architecture, core relationships, cost of care, high priority network operations functions and profitability opportunities.
- Develop an understanding of Oscar’s DNA, operations and relationships with your counterparts on internal teams.
- Begin to drive ongoing discussions and initiatives with key network partners.
During the first four months,
- Generate financial insights that will ensure Oscar’s long-term sustainability, and work with internal departments and leaders to execute on these insights.
- Become the go-to individual for key network partners on all things network operations including data integrations and other partnership initiatives.
- Interface with network contacts on insurance operations like claims, utilization management, and network adequacy, driving discussions and looping in Oscar experts as needed.
- Manage regular working sessions and quarterly executive meetings with network partners to drive integration projects and efficient resolution of operational issues.
Afterwards and on an ongoing basis,
- Identify and drive initiatives that will maximize risk-adjusted profitability across Oscar’s book of business.
- Shape, maintain and be accountable for aspects of the business plan and markets in the expanding West Region.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key hospital system contacts and oversee relationships and transactions within your market.
- Ensure a high-quality Oscar experience for members and providers.
- Ensure a high standard of excellence for both expansion and existing operations within your market.
Key components for success include:
- 5+ years of work experience in the healthcare industry, preferably in California, and a strong leadership and client-facing background. Track record of successfully collaborating with business units and economic drivers with a multi-year trajectory; particularly identifying and transforming key healthcare financial drivers.
- A strong financial/analytical background, and the ability to quickly digest and evaluate complex financial structures and large amounts of data in order to derive insights and make commercially intelligent business decisions.
- Strength in negotiations involving complex economics and communication thereof with internal and external stakeholders.
- Orientation towards designing processes systematically while being able to execute quickly within a fast-paced, fluid and goal-oriented environment.
- A deep sense of accountability, ownership, and humility.
A plus, but not required:
- An MBA or other professional degree from a top-tier program with a clear track record of excellence.
- Experience with growth-stage enterprises and scaling departments and processes.
Must-have qualifications and expertise include:
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Experience in a client-facing role, particularly with provider network operations preferred.
- Experience overseeing large projects that require strong organizational skills and collaborating with a broad array of different teams within an organization.
- Experience improving complex operational processes at scale.
- Passion for improving healthcare.
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, and we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, and volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (email@example.com) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.
Back to top