Data Scientist, Risk
Hi, we're Oscar. We’re hiring a Data Scientist for Risk to join our Data team in our New York City office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, and human. We need your help to do so.
About this role:
Insurance companies sit on a trove of data that is both broad and deep, spanning financial claims, clinical medical records, and rich product interaction data from our members. Oscar's Data team connects the dots across these datasets to give us unique insight into how the healthcare system functions and allows us to improve care coordination, better manage risk, build higher-performing provider networks, and create a standout consumer experience in our product.
As a Data Scientist for Risk, you’ll collaborate with operational teams, actuaries, accountants, clinicians, and engineers to identify opportunities to improve our business. You’ll be deployed against the most financially impactful projects at Oscar, ones that ensure our financial success and allow us to function and compete in the health insurance market. You’ll develop core data concepts to empower our teams and provide a foundation for their analyses to build from, becoming an expert on all risk- and finance-related models that the company can rely on.
You will report to a Lead Data Scientist.
- Develop models that support core business functions like reporting, reconciliation, and governance of risk- and finance-related calculations.
- Work with senior data scientists on predictive disease modeling to better understand the relationships between specific clinical profiles and our financial risk.
- Create dynamic dashboards for our teams to promote greater transparency and performance monitoring.
- Improve the data science inputs to complex operational systems, and working with business teams to build smarter processes.
- 2+ years of analyst experience in industries such as finance or consulting
- Experience working with data sets to draw conclusions and inform decisions
- You know when to look outside the data to help answer questions.
- You can explain the complexities of data projects to a non-technical audience
- An advanced degree in a quantitative field
- Knowledge of SQL or a scripting language like Python or R
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, and we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, and volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (email@example.com) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.
Meet Some of Oscar Health's Employees
Whittney C.Broker Support Representative Coach
Whittney’s job is to train, develop, and support broker support representatives. They are tasked with providing customer service to external brokers, who make up about 85% of Oscar’s enrollments.
Back to top