Data Scientist, Pharmacy
Hi, we're Oscar. We’re hiring a Data Scientist for Pharmacy to join our Data team in our New York City office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, and human. We need your help to do so.
About the role:
60% of Oscar members fill a prescription while they’re enrolled; it’s the most common way patients receive care in the healthcare system. At Oscar, we see how we cover drugs as an important vector to improve clinical outcomes, increase member satisfaction, and reduce costs for everyone, and data science is at the heart of everything drugs-related.
As a Data Scientist for Pharmacy, you’ll be part of the data science team, working with people around the business -- everyone from medical directors to product managers to actuaries -- to understand what’s going on with prescription drugs and how we can make it better. You will report to an Associate Director of Data Science.
- Explore regional variation in what members are taking, and why.
- Help our product team make it easier for members and prescribers to find the right drugs.
- Find the best plan structure to get members the drugs they need at a minimum cost.
- Identify and root out fraud and waste in the pharmacy space.
- Evaluate strategic pharmacy projects to determine whether they’re right for our business.
- 3+ years of analyst experience in industries such as finance or consulting
- Knowledge of SQL and scripting languages like Python or R
- Experience working with data to draw conclusions and inform decisions.
- You know when to look outside the data to help answer questions, and like learning from business people and clinicians.
- You enjoy switching among analytical, business, clinical, and social ways of thinking.
- You’re excited about being (or becoming) a decision-maker, not just an analyst.
- An advanced degree in a quantitative field.
- Experience with healthcare, insurance, or the pharmaceutical space
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, and we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, and volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.
Back to top