Associate Director, Privacy & Compliance Engineering
- New York, NY
Hi, we're Oscar. We’re hiring a Associate Director, Privacy & Compliance Engineering to join our Security team in our New York office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, and human. We need your help to do so.
About the role:
While Oscar is an advanced engineering environment, our business is very much driven by the privacy and security of its customers and partners’ data. We are required to map all of our engineering solutions to compliance and regulatory standards. These solutions must also be easily referenced and clearly auditable when called upon. These are complex problems that require engineering skill, entrepreneurial creativity, and an appreciation for aligning security with the core business of the company.
The role is well-suited for a capable engineer who has the desire to apply their experiences to new problems, is looking to assume the responsibilities of a leadership role, would enjoy developing and shaping bright security minded engineers, and takes pleasure in collaborating with business and technology leaders in order build flexible, innovative and practical solutions.
The role presents a unique opportunity for a talented technical security engineering leader who would like to gain more exposure to the risk and governance aspects of security. The experience gained in this role should enable the selected candidate to become better prepared for future security leadership opportunities.
You will report into the Senior Director, Security Engineering.
In this role you will:
- Be the technical lead and people manager for the Privacy and Compliance Engineering team
- Define and execute the team’s roadmap, ensuring the right goals for the team are established, and that they are met at the right time
- Mentor your engineers and upscale their skills via code reviews and guidance in their code development tasks
- Roll up your sleeves when necessary and join the team to deliver great solutions
- Collect many stories of how different teams operate in their environment, while looking for ways to make the work aligned with compliance, security, and privacy requirements facilitate gathering of the evidence that will be presented to auditors
- Find ways to automate information gathering and remove manual dependencies as much as possible
- Hands on experience in at least one modern programming language (strong preference to Python or Go)
- You have 8+ years of software/security engineering experience
- You have 2+ years of management experience
- You collaborate and communicate effectively with a broad spectrum of stakeholders, including technical and non-technical audiences.
- Familiar with successful models bridging Engineering and Security priorities
- Previous work experience in a highly regulated industry, including direct interaction with internal and external auditors
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, and we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, and volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.
Back to top