Payroll & Accounting Specialist
Optoro is a fast-growing tech company that is revolutionizing the retail industry. Every year, more than 15% of retail goods are returned or simply never sell. This creates tons of unnecessary waste and costs retailers billions. We provide a technology solution that keeps these items out of landfills and connects them to their best use, increasing recovery value, giving consumers great deals, and reducing environmental waste.
Backed by some of the top investors in the country, including Kleiner Perkins and Revolution Growth, Optoro is powered by its collaborative, unconventional, and resourceful employees. We are looking for individuals with similar creativity and energy to help build a lasting company focused on the triple bottom line.
Reporting into Finance and collaborating closely with the Talent & Culture team, this role will be responsible for the full-lifecycle of the payroll process, from entry to settlement, as well as supporting benefit reconciliation and financial responsibilities. We are looking for someone with exceptional attention to detail and proven experience managing payroll within a fast-growing and dynamic company.
- Manage and process bi-weekly payroll and related payroll and benefit functions for salaried and hourly employees including but not limited to:
- Process voluntary deductions such as medical benefits, 401(k) and commuter deductions as well as involuntary deductions such as levies and garnishments
- Respond to employee requests and questions as it relates to payroll and benefits
- Complete unemployment reports, including entering wage, date of hire and termination data, as well as reporting the reason for termination to local unemployment offices
- Oversee the payroll system which will include addressing any system issues, creating improvements as well as the implementation of any upgrades
- Manage and conduct payroll-related audits (internal/external, 401k, etc.), W-2 production, and W-2 distribution ensuring both accuracy and compliance
- Manage tax filings and remittances for federal and multi-state
- Preparing and booking journal entries for payroll and benefits related transactions
- Scheduled and ad-hoc reporting of payroll related analyses
- Oversee time tracking and paid time off management to ensure employees’ time is properly recorded and related pay transactions are processed accurately
- Partner with the Finance and Talent & Culture teams to approve, reconcile and audit, payroll benefit deductions for accuracy. Will include transit, medical, disability and 401k benefits.
- Administer Optoro’s 401(k) plan with respect to enrollments, terminations, contributions, loan administration, compliance testing, Form 5500 preparation and audit management, etc.
- Provide support and assistance on other related accounting projects including, but not limited to, billing reconciliation and expense reporting and reimbursement processes.
- Provide support with Headcount reporting and reconciliation between current payroll reports and forecasting
- Assist with budget to actual headcount analysis
- Forecasting human capital expenses for headcount analysis and budget forecasting
- Software capitalization
- Responsible for monthly New Hire Reporting
- Complete all Employment Verifications requiring payroll information.
- A Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years of progressive payroll administration with a background in accounting
- Proven ability managing payroll processing for 100+ employees within a growing organization, preferably for a diverse workforce
- Strong working knowledge of payroll tax laws, IRS and state guidelines and regulations, reciprocities
- Intense attention to detail and organization
- Ability to establish strong partnerships and credibility with team members, employees and vendors through exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- A very high degree of personal integrity including the ability to manage sensitive or confidential information
- A mindset for evaluating processes and driving continuous improvement and efficiency
Optoro is an equal opportunity employer.
Back to top