Head of Design
Optoro is a fast-growing tech company that is revolutionizing the retail industry. Every year, more than 15% of retail goods are returned or simply never sell. This creates tons of unnecessary waste and costs retailers billions. We provide a technology solution that keeps these items out of landfills and connects them to their best use, increasing recovery value, giving consumers great deals, and reducing environmental waste.
Backed by some of the top investors in the country, including Kleiner Perkins and Revolution Growth, Optoro is powered by its collaborative, unconventional, and resourceful employees. We are looking for individuals with similar creativity and energy to help build a lasting company focused on the triple bottom line.
Head of Design
Are you empathetic, decisive, and driven by the desire to create amazing user experiences? Do you believe that great design + creative vision + collaboration = success?
At Optoro, we believe design is essential in building world-class products and creating a brand that we can be proud of. This role will lead that user-centric vision, and report directly to the company President.
In leading the Design team, you will:
Provide company-wide design & creative leadership: Shape and maintain our brands across platforms; lead cross-team design thinking initiatives to inform and grow the value of customer experiences and continually keep the Optoro team up-to-date on the latest trends applicable to our business. Produce and contribute towards design efforts across all brands.
Manage our team of amazing designers: Coach, mentor and lead the design team to help them grow and produce the best work of their career. You will meet with the team bi-weekly for team meetings, 1-2-1 to track quarterly goal progress and meet individually/collectively to discuss and give feedback to improve project deliverables.
Partner and collaborate with other teams: Maintain strong relationships with all departments to ensure design thinking is at the heart of everything we do.
- Collaborate with stakeholder, development and product teams to craft industry-leading user-centric design solutions.
- Lead and maintain Optoro’s various brands via visual execution and experience.
- Champion user-centric design in all that we do following industry standards like Design Thinking.
- Drive innovation and ensure that exceptional design is at the heart of everything Optoro creates.
- Communicate across the organization and track/report/ensure that business units’ design needs are met.
- Supervise and mentor the work of Optoro’s design team through career goals and design-focused 1-2-1s.
- Directly assist the design team in the creation of wireframes, user flows, visual designs, illustrations, and other graphic assets both on and offline.
- Take the lead on cultivating seamless, clean brand direction and positioning.
- Work directly with the executive team and other stakeholders to define design strategy and execution across Optoro’s products.
- Foster a collaborative, impactful and enriching work environment.
- Oversee multiple tracks of projects and make sure they are progressing effectively; track backlog and projects in flight and communicate to all parties; work with Product and Development to review backlogs and plan work accordingly
- Assist and lead cross-company education sessions focused on design subjects.
- You know how to lead
- You’ve built and led design teams from the ground up as well as demonstrated excellence in building creative solutions delivered on the web and mobile devices.
- You inspire people on your team - people want to follow you.
- You effectively communicate your ideas and advocate for them across the company.
- You are hands on and willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done - you believe that you need to get your hands dirty in order to deeply understand the needs and shape your team accordingly.
- You are an exceptional designer
- “Full-stack” designer with experience in all areas of design and some technical ability too. Knowledge of HTML and CSS capabilities is a must.
- You have a strong understanding of the principles of user-centric design.
- Your designs are simple, transparent, balanced, and composed.
- Excellent communication skills and experience working with a variety of stakeholders across multiple projects
- Proven ability to solve complex, abstract problems with formally grounded, innovative, structural solutions.
- Ability to synthesize consumer requirements and extrapolate accurate timelines needed to complete complex work.
- A history of delivering products in a lean fashion led by customer research.
- The tangibles and intangibles
- 10+ years of experience as a Creative Director or similar role at a world-class creative agency or product company leading digital creative for iconic brands and an awe-inspiring portfolio of brand-defining interactive experiences
- eCommerce industry experience is a must.
- Proven success in a fast-paced, high-growth startup environment.
- On top of the latest trends and methods.
- You are not afraid of complexity, and love the challenge of breaking it down for others.
- Autonomous, open and curious mind, sense of humor encouraged.
- Education / experience in design and/or computer science a plus.
Optoro is an equal opportunity employer.
Meet Some of Optoro's Employees
Director, Customer Experience
As a director, Kristin's responsibilities include managing the Customer Care Team, which handles all emails, calls, and chats from customers who are inquiring about Optoro's products and customer policies.
Back to top