Director, Software Engineering
Optoro is a fast-growing tech company that is revolutionizing the retail industry.
Every year, more than 15% of retail goods are returned or simply never sell.
This creates tons of unnecessary waste and costs retailers billions. We provide a technology solution that keeps these items out of landfills and connects them to their best use, increasing recovery value, giving consumers great deals, and reducing environmental waste.
Our Mission is to champion the world's returned and excess goods, create unmatched value and power the future of sustainable commerce.
Backed by some of the top investors in the country, including Kleiner Perkins and Revolution Growth, Optoro is powered by its collaborative, unconventional, and resourceful employees. We are looking for individuals with similar creativity and energy to help build a lasting company focused on the triple bottom line.
Director, Software Engineering
The Director, Software Engineering is responsible for overall leadership, management, hiring, and quality of the software engineering team at Optoro. The software engineering team is one department within the tech team, along with infrastructure engineering, quality assurance, design, product management, and others. The Director will lead development of Optoro’s cutting-edge enterprise software solutions, including OptiTurn, BLINQ, BULQ, and other products.
We expect our Director to be currently technically capable and excellent with people. Our company and team is constantly growing, so the ability to think quickly and embrace change is critical. Our Director should be just as comfortable designing systems architectures and writing code when needed, as they are coaching our diverse, talented team through tricky programming and team dynamics.
- Construct long-term vision for software engineering team
- Provide input on human resourcing allocation and manage hiring
- Work with Product Management and other functional groups to design practical solutions to business needs
- Resolve misalignments in technical architecture, especially between teams
- Ensure teams are continuously locking in value
- Help introduce new technologies and methods as needed to solve business problems
- Coach and grow software developers and teams
- Significant other duties based on the needs of our growing company
- You have at least 10 years of solid leadership experience
- You are skilled in building and leading multiple engineering teams
- You like to stay on top of the latest trends in the tech world
- You’re passionate about elegant solutions to complex problems in products and in teams
- You have broad exposure to and experience with various web technologies
- You really understand open source and are passionate about open code (bonus points if you’re already participating)
- You’ll work locally in Washington, DC
Optoro is an equal opportunity employer.
Meet Some of Optoro's Employees
Director, Customer Experience
As a director, Kristin's responsibilities include managing the Customer Care Team, which handles all emails, calls, and chats from customers who are inquiring about Optoro's products and customer policies.
Back to top