Human Resources Consultant
OWN is the first and only network named for, and inspired by, a single iconic leader. Oprah Winfrey's heart and creative instincts inform the brand - and the magnetism of the channel. Winfrey provides leadership in programming and attracts superstar talent to join her in primetime, building a global community of like-minded viewers and leading that community to connect on social media and beyond. OWN is a singular destination on cable. Depth with edge. Heart. Star power. Connection. And endless possibilities. OWN is a joint venture between Harpo, Inc. and Discovery Communications. The network debuted on January 1, 2011 and is available in 85 million homes. The venture also includes the award-winning digital platform Oprah.com.
The Human Resources Consultant provides direct HR support for for OWN employees and contingent workers. The position works closely with all levels of to effectively communicate, manage, distribute, and implement Human Resources initiatives with a focus on recruitment, benefits and engagement. This position reports into the Director, Human Resources.
- Serve as a primary contact of Human Resources services for OWN employees and CW's; develop solutions to employee issues in partnership with the Director.
- Partner with Discovery Communications Benefits Management team to provide on-site support for OWN employee benefits and leaves of absence.
- Lead recruiting and onboarding efforts including job requisition, screening and selection, hiring and onboarding processes; includes new hire orientation.
- Process employee separations including completing paperwork, coordinating final checks, collect and return Company property
- Support organization planning and activities (i.e. revising org charts, running reports, and preparing employment transactions for entry into Workday)
- Partner with HR Director and management to develop and execute programs, training opportunities and events, including but not limited to Injury and Illness Prevention Program, Annual Wellness Fair, Holiday Party, Summer Internship Program
- Support HR strategic programs and initiatives and perform other related duties as assigned or requested
- Ensure consistent application and compliance with all statutory and OWN human resources practices
- Projects as assigned to continue to streamline internal processes or drive HR strategies
- Creatively solve problems and assist clients with requests and HR questions
- Maintain standards of strict confidentiality with respect to all matters and documents
- Proactively review on an ongoing basis all HR policies and processes; with a view to improve efficiency and effectiveness within legal framework
- Continually strive to provide 'best practice' HR advice and support, through information sharing internally and external benchmarking
- A Bachelor's degree in Business, Human Resources or related field, or equivalent experience
- A minimum of four years progressive, professional HR experience
- Proven experience in problem solving and organizational management practices within a fast-paced, dynamic environment; experience in media/entertainment industry a plus
- Knowledge of national, state and local Employee and Labor Relations practices, laws and regulations
- Working knowledge of compensation and benefits practices; experience managing leaves of absence a plus
- Experience with an HR information system, preferably Workday
- Experience in working with a culturally diverse workforce
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States
OWN, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, marital status, citizenship, disability, genetic information or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law.
See Inside the Office of Oprah Winfrey Network
Named after talk-show presenter Oprah Winfrey, the Oprah Winfrey Network is a general entertainment television channel that debuted in 2011, hosting a variety of original programming. With shows ranging from ‘Oprah’s Life Class’ to ‘The Haves and the Have Nots’ to ‘Our America with Lisa Ling’, OWN strives to provide a mix of programs meant to educate, entertain, and inspire its viewers.
Back to top