Assistant, Communications (CW)
OWN is the first and only network named for, and inspired by, a single iconic leader. Oprah Winfrey's heart and creative instincts inform the brand - and the magnetism of the channel. Winfrey provides leadership in programming and attracts superstar talent to join her in primetime, building a global community of like-minded viewers and leading that community to connect on social media and beyond. OWN is a singular destination on cable. Depth with edge. Heart. Star power. Connection. And endless possibilities. OWN is a joint venture between Harpo, Inc. and Discovery Communications. The network debuted on January 1, 2011 and is available in 85 million homes. The venture also includes the award-winning digital platform Oprah.com.
The Assistant is a key communicator within the Communications team and interfaces with all levels of staff. This position is the trusted support person and will coordinate resources, travel, and meetings, as well as help out with special events and PR projects. The ideal assistant will be accustomed to supporting high level executives, and will possess the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment. The successful candidate can effectively balance changing demands and dynamic schedules, and function under pressure within tight deadlines. Outstanding organizational and communication skills are essential. In addition, the assistant will be able to build collaborative relationships with the other executives and assistants throughout the company. A high level of professionalism and discretion is required in this role.
- Assist three publicists with day-to-day communications support such as organizing and scheduling appointments, coordinating travel, compiling clips and handling general administrative duties.
- Function as administrative liaison to departmental staff, other OWN departments, external vendors and consultants.
- Answer telephones, screen calls, route callers, take messages, respond to internal and external inquiries, and provide routine information within scope of authority.
- Maintain/update OWN Press Website, press contact database and working with others in the department to generate and maintain press clips.
- Arrange presentations and conference calls, coordinate equipment needs and refreshments, compile and distribute materials, etc.
- Responsible for the financial processes of check requests, invoices and purchase orders.
- Provide data entry and clerical support.
- Assist with special projects and provide general office support.
- Manages office shared drives
- Completes transactions including Payables and Expense Report processing
- Maintains standards of strict confidentiality with respect to all matters and documents
- Minimum of 1 year of experience as an assistant; 2-3 years strongly preferred
- Previous network or PR agency experience strongly recommended
- Must be available to work periodically during evenings and weekends
- Ability to balance competing priorities and work comfortably in a fast-paced environment
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- BA or equivalent combination of education and experience
OWN, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, marital status, citizenship, disability, genetic information or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law.
See Inside the Office of Oprah Winfrey Network
Named after talk-show presenter Oprah Winfrey, the Oprah Winfrey Network is a general entertainment television channel that debuted in 2011, hosting a variety of original programming. With shows ranging from ‘Oprah’s Life Class’ to ‘The Haves and the Have Nots’ to ‘Our America with Lisa Ling’, OWN strives to provide a mix of programs meant to educate, entertain, and inspire its viewers.
Back to top