Communications Specialist, Germany
- Berlin, Germany
Communications Specialist, Germany. Berlin. Posting Date: 01/05/2021. Deadline: 01/31/2021
Do you want to help make the world a better place with your passion for digital communications? We're seeking a Berlin-based Communications Specialist who has excellent writing skills, ability to turn around content under tight deadlines, and confident interpersonal skills with media and other stakeholders. This position will be dedicated to programs for coverage as needed
The Open Society Foundations work to build vibrant and inclusive democracies whose governments are accountable and open to the participation of all people. We are active in more than 120 countries, making us the world's largest private funder of independent groups working for justice, democratic governance, and human rights.
The Communications team plays a central role in the work of the Open Society Foundations by coordinating and strengthening the public presence of the global network and by helping to advance critical program issues. Communications works to raise Open Society's public profile by promoting the network's many noteworthy achievements as well as responding to attacks from opponents of open society around the world. The department employs media outreach, digital, social media, publications, and internal communications to assist dozens of Open Society foundations and programs in their communications efforts.
As a Communications Specialist at Open Society you will:
- As part of the Global and European Communications team, draft, edit, and distribute content for social media, websites, fact sheets, reports, press releases, and media pitches
- Manage digital platforms and content: commission content, upload and review material, support campaigns, provide analytics, to enable effective digital resource and advocacy tools
- Support programs with event planning and management, helping to secure visibility by coordinating the production of identity material for Open Society in Germany
- Build relationships with German and other journalists, identify and pitch promising stories from the Open Society network, respond to press inquiries, maintain lists and log public outreach
- Support the organization, coordination of and follow-up to German and other media relations, including interviews with senior officials and other experts, drafting of media briefs, and preparation of public events
- Support routine team operations, including updates in content management, licensing, contracting, coordination and other ad hoc tasks for/of/related to Communications, in compliance with GDPR frameworks
What we are looking for:
- Three to five years of demonstrated experience working in communications with a focus on media outreach, especially web and social media
- Excellent German and English language writing, verbal, and editing abilities
- Effective management of multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Commitment to Open Society values and desire to advance those in public communications work
- Familiarity with communications and digital media strategies, especially for audiences in Germany and the rest of Europe
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships within teams and across programs, departmental units, and levels
- Experience managing high visibility German-language social media accounts on multiple platforms, preferably in an organization or company that works in multiple countries
- Experience managing website content and/or multimedia content with various stakeholders as part of a multinational team
- Commitment to advocacy work for civil society, and, in particular, for the work supported by Open Society Foundations
What we offer:
- Ample opportunities to learn and grow, from annual professional development allowances to onsite trainings and brown bag lunches with visiting experts.
- Top-notch benefits and perksdesigned for your well-being and a healthy work-life balance. With some variability according to location, this includes generous time off, flexible work arrangements, employer-paid health insurance, generous retirement savings plan, progressive paid parental leave, reproductive and family planning support, sabbatical opportunities, and much more .
- A commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace that enables everyone to bring their full self to work and make a positive impact on the world.
See what a day in the life of a colleague at Open Society is like
If this sounds like the position you have been looking for, please submit your cover letter and CV; we look forward to learning more about you.
Please note, this position is not eligible for work authorization sponsorship.
Competitive rates of pay apply.
We aim to build an inclusive workforce that is reflective of the populations we support, and actively seek applications from those who are marginalized and underrepresented. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and colleagues with disabilities.
Back to top