Vice President of Engineering
We’ve got a pretty good thing going on here at OpenMarket. We’re leaders of a mobile industry that's transforming the way customer obsessed businesses communicate with their customers. Join our team: we're friendly, caring, weirdly tenacious, and fun.
The world’s biggest brands seek us out because we love finding ways to help them make their customers’ lives easier. It’s this obsession with customer experience that helps us develop software, technology and processes that competitors all over the world desire.
We’re seeking enthusiastic, collaborative and resourceful people from a range of backgrounds who know how to get things done. Success comes from our culture, diversity and dynamic global team so we value people who are authentic, take ownership, and deliver together. Does this sound like you?
Vice President of Engineering
OpenMarket is looking for an experienced Vice President of Engineering who is passionate about building cutting edge applications, as well as making products that helps the biggest brands in the world use mobile messaging to connect with their customers in the moments that count! In this role you will be joining a team of experienced leaders and engineers. The team is happy to roll up their sleeves and get the job done; we are looking for a leader that can harness that enthusiasm. We are seeking an engineering leader who has optimized, mentored, and lead technical teams, and who knows how to develop a culture that encourages both collaboration and independence.
OpenMarket is quickly adapting & improving our automated text messaging products and experience. We are embarking on some new and exciting challenges. Our product road map and Innovation Sprints are delivered through a high-scale microservice-oriented architecture with a truly global footprint.
The position is full-time with some flexibility in location (Seattle or London) and will require moderate travel. The VP Engineering is a key member of the Executive Management Team and driving force behind the technology and technical innovation at OpenMarket to enable us to deliver against our mission.
As head of the Engineering org you will be leading the design, review, development and implementation of technology plans and investments that broadly support OpenMarket. Partnering and working closely with business executives, the VP Engineering develops, acquires, deploys, and prioritizes technology and systems investments that support company growth and delivering compelling customer experiences. The VP Engineering is a key technology leader and represents the business on company projects, internal technology networks, and industry groups advancing the business and technology goals of OpenMarket.
What you'll be doing
- Build and lead a high performance team that thrives in an agile development environment.
- Foster an environment of experimentation and continual improvement through regular Innovation Sprints, technical debt reduction and an architectural runway.
- Using extensive management skills and experience to develop technical and managerial leadership skills and create a vibrant culture of mutual support and motivation.
- Demonstrated “servant leader” mentality adept at maximizing team performance in an engineering setting, including coaching, consulting, and mentoring.
- Stay in sync with multiple development and product teams routinely reviewing specs and roadmaps to assure development cycles stay on time and are of the highest quality.
- Work closely with our UI/UX team to deliver high quality user experiences.
What to bring
- Demonstrated leadership building out complex mobile applications.
- Experience delivering high quality Java server-side software design and development including experience with RESTful web services and microservices
- 10 + years of engineering experience, preferably with 5+ years of increasing leadership responsibilities with management of teams from 100+.
- Strong background in driving large technical projects from conception to rollout/production.
- Experience managing production incidents with a repeatable process.
- Ability to use “just enough” metrics to make data-driven decisions without losing flexibility.
- Experience working in scaled, multi-team Agile/SCRUM development programs.
- Hands-on experience in cloud computing, preferably in AWS
- Knowledge of cutting edge technologies and toolkits.
- Minimum of BS in Computer Science or related field.
You'll be a great fit if
- You love being a part of a distributed, dynamic, and agile team that encourages you to learn and grow
- You desire to work with some of the world’s top brands
- You love finding solutions to interesting problems and figuring out how things work
- You welcome having autonomy with complex tasks
- You are passionate about using your experience and expertise to inspire the team
- Strong dedication to create a vibrant culture of personal growth.
- A keen sense of humor and avid curiosity.
- Obsessive focus on the customer.
This position is open in Seattle, WA or London, GB.
OpenMarket embraces diversity and is an equal opportunity (EEO) employer.
We are unable to sponsor new U.S. work visas at this time.
Employment in this position may be contingent upon successful completion of a criminal and/or credit background investigation.
Back to top