Senior Database Administrator (Contract)
We’ve got a pretty good thing going on here at OpenMarket. We’re leaders of a mobile industry that's transforming the way customer obsessed businesses communicate with their customers.
The world’s biggest brands seek us out because we love finding ways to help them make their customers’ lives easier. It’s this obsession with customer experience that helps us develop software, technology and processes that competitors all over the world desire.
We’re seeking enthusiastic, collaborative and resourceful people from a range of backgrounds who know how to get things done. Success comes from our culture, diversity and dynamic global team so we value people who are authentic, take ownership, and deliver together. Does this sound like you? Join our team: we're friendly, caring, weirdly tenacious, and fun.
Senior Database Administrator
This is a dynamic role with high emphasis on being self-motivated to solve the task at hand. There is no ‘typical day’ in the Operations team as new challenges are presented daily. You will ensure that good decisions are being made and procedures are being followed. Where gaps are found in process or infrastructure, you will take ownership to resolve them. When services are interrupted, you will be responsive and restore functionality in a timely and efficient manner.
You will work closely with coworkers in other offices and time zones on the constantly evolving mission to achieve zero down time of services hosted by Operations. The team is constantly innovating new approaches to improve efficiency, automate repetitive work and reduce manual tasks.
What you’ll be doing
- Day-to-day support of global production and test database systems
- Participate in projects to design and implement new technology solutions, meet specific business needs, solve problems, or improve the database team's offerings
- Participate in 24/7 on-call responsibilities to respond to emergency situations and perform scheduled maintenance
- Work with other teams to resolve issues and determine solutions
- Contribute to and maintain documentation for databases processes and procedures
What to bring
- 7 years of experience configuring and deploying Oracle 11 database in a critical production environment
- Well versed in planning, maintaining and execution of Oracle database failover and backup strategies
- Deployed and maintained both MySQL and Cassandra in production
- Experience with change control processes, security reviews, and maintenance procedures
- Good written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse group of clients and staff
- Ability to diagnose and remedy serious issues promptly and effectively
- Strong analytical skills in a fast paced environment
- Ability to multitask and keep track of the various work you're doing with consideration to project deadlines
- Ability to work independently but also be productive in a team setting such as a multi-faceted project
Nice to have
- Knowledge and experience in NoSQL database technologies such as Hive, Hadoop and Cassandra
- Knowledge in AWS and cloud technologies: DynamoDB, S3, EC2, Amazon RDS and Redshift.
- Experience with Linux systems
- Oracle or other certifications relevant to a Database Administrator
You’ll be a great fit if
- Being a part of a small, fast-moving and agile team that encourages you to learn and grow
- Finding solutions to interesting problems
- Having autonomy with complex tasks
- Using your experience and expertise to inspire the team
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent experience required.
This is a 3-6 month contract role.
This position is open in Seattle, WA.
OpenMarket is an equal opportunity (EEO) employer.
We are unable to sponsor new U.S. work visas at this time.
Employment in this position may be contingent upon successful completion of a criminal and/or credit background investigation.
Meet Some of OpenMarket's Employees
Senior Account Manager
Nerys continually communicates with OpenMarket’s enterprise accounts in order to maximize clients’ experiences and benefits, acting as a liaison between business customers and internal teams.
Back to top