Matrix Technical Writer/Evangelist
Matrix Technical Writer / Evangelist
Matrix is on a mission to transform the way the Internet is used to communicate.
We are a small and ambitious incubated startup, building a new decentralized open ecosystem for interoperable voice, video and messaging apps - making it as easy and flexible to message or call someone as it is to send them an email. In practice this means creating and evolving the Matrix standard (https://matrix.org/docs/spec) – an open specification document of the HTTP APIs which define Matrix. The standard is then supported and illustrated with open source reference servers (e.g. https://github.com/matrix-org/synapse), clients (e.g. https://vector.im) , and integrations to as many existing applications and communication networks as possible.
With a long history of building VoIP products for large mobile networks and enterprises and funded by a large telecoms systems vendor (Amdocs), our team is uniquely positioned to change the world and we are looking for an excellent Technical Writer / Evangelist to own the Matrix specification, tutorials and Matrix.org website content which form the primary interface between Matrix and its developer community. Your role is crucial for seeding and growing the global developer ecosystem that is critical to Matrix’s success.About the roleYour role will be on the front line of communicating Matrix’s technical vision, architecture and API specifics to the widest possible developer audience. You will be the guardian of the Matrix specification documents – ensuring that the APIs are presented as compellingly, coherently and as freshly as possible.
The overwhelming majority of your work will be released as open source documentation under a permissive license, improving transparency and community involvement wherever possible.
Key responsibilities are:
- Editing, nurturing and releasing the constantly evolving Matrix ‘living spec’ and API documentation – bridging the gap from the developers’ specification drafts to a single coherent and consistent monolithic document.
- Writing and collating an exemplary library of tutorials to improve the accessibility of the Matrix ecosystem to the widest possible developer audience.
- Writing blog posts to document and promote the technical progress of the Matrix ecosystem
- Working with the wider Matrix developer community to incorporate their feedback into the spec and tutorials, and helping enthuse them in the tao of Matrix
- Helping create and nurture a general decentralized communication community around Matrix.org – be it through Matrix-powered chatrooms, message boards, blogs, etc.
- Contributing to the public face of Matrix to the developer community, both online (tutorials, blogs, chatrooms, web forums, etc) and offline (conferences, hackathons, hackdays, etc)
Skills and Experience
- Be wildly enthusiastic about technology, with proven evidence of effectively communicating their passion to a wide audience (e.g. blogging)
- Be enthusiastic and knowledgeable about at least one of VoIP, Messaging, Media/Graphics development, Game programming, Network programming or Mobile App development.
- Have proven practical experience in technical documentation of complex API specifications and associated example and tutorial code – providing links to existing open source contributions.
- Have sufficient strong knowledge of software development to be comfortable editing and maintaining a complex and extensive API documentation set, including examples. Experience in development in one of Python, Java, C, Go or similar is a requirement.
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Have familiarity with open source development communities
- Be comfortable interacting with online development communities via group chat and forum systems.
- Be able to travel internationally to represent Matrix at events
- Be able to help set own objectives within a small and rapidly evolving team, and be persistent in pursuing them.
- Want to build a community which will change the world.
Applications to [email protected]
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of OpenMarket's Employees
Jay oversees the company’s commercial success, as well as its global operations, by anticipating and preparing for changes in the industry, ensuring OpenMarket is able to adapt.
Back to top