Software Engineer (Pricing Data)
Are you intrigued by the thought of disrupting a trillion dollar industry through technology? At Opendoor, we are on a bold mission to empower everyone with the freedom to move by making buying, selling and trading-in a home stress-free and instant. In five years since we started, we have hired an exceptional team, seen strong growth, bought and sold over 20,000 homes(with an annual purchase run rate exceeding $3.8 billion), and raised $1.3 billion in funding. The coming years present a tremendous opportunity for innovation as we explore new frontiers and scale nationwide.
The Pricing Data team is responsible for exploring venues for acquiring real estate data, building data ingestion pipelines, and ensuring data accuracy. We use these data to determine the price of the homes we buy and sell, which means the output of the Pricing Data team has a direct and significant impact on the accuracy of our business. To put things into perspective, a single piece of inaccurate data can cause hundreds of thousands of dollars of swings in home value. As Opendoor continues to transact on billions of dollars of homes, the impact of the team is magnified even more. It is no exaggeration to say that the accuracy of data we collect can either make or break our business.
- Process large amounts of real estate and transactional data in batch to generate a highly accurate world class real estate data set.
- Understanding how to quantify uncertainty with our data.
- Deriving fields from unstructured data(e.g. extracting data from home photos and satellite images with Computer vision algorithms, extracting data from MLS remarks with natural language processing).
- Performing analysis to ensure our datasets are robust and reliable for machine learning and business use cases.
- Apply deep understanding of data processing technologies to reason about engineering / design tradeoffs.
- Work with cutting-edge technologies such as Spark, Airflow, gRPC, Flask and Postgres.
What we are looking for:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- 3+ years professional work experience.
- Deep understanding of data processing technologies such as Spark, Hadoop, Storm and Kafka
- Experience with Airflow, Luigi, or other ETL scheduling technologies.
- A sense of ownership for everything you ship.
- Focus on rapid delivery without sacrificing technical excellence.
- Care for modular, performant and testable code.
More About Us
Want to learn more about us and how we are revolutionizing the home buying and selling process? Learn more about us on our website, check out our profile on The Muse to learn more about our culture from our team members, or read our blog posts to hear about the work we are doing.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks:
- Full medical, dental, and vision with optional 70% coverage for dependents
- Flexible vacation policy
- Educational budget to invest in your career development and growth
- Fitness/Commuter Benefit stipend
- Generous parental leave
- Paid time off to volunteer
Please note that these benefits and perks are available only to Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor values Openness
Our team celebrates our diverse backgrounds. We believe that being open about who we are and what we do allows us to be better. Individuals seeking employment at Opendoor are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other protected status under all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
Back to top