Software Engineer (Data Infrastructure)
- San Francisco, CA
Founded in 2014, Opendoor’s mission is to empower everyone with the freedom to move. We believe the traditional real estate process is broken and our goal is simple: build a digital, end-to-end customer experience that makes buying and selling a home simple, certain and fast. We have assembled a dedicated team with diverse backgrounds to support more than 100,000 homes bought and sold with us and the customers who have selected Opendoor as a trusted partner in handling one of their largest financial transactions. But the work is far from over as we continue to grow in new markets. Transforming the real estate industry takes tenacity and dedication. It takes problem solvers and builders. It takes a tight knit community of teammates doing the best work of their lives, pushing one another to transform a complicated process into a simple one. So where do you fit in? Whether you’re passionate about real estate, people, numbers, words, code, or strategy -- we have a place for you. Real estate is broken. Come help us fix it.
About the Role:
Opendoor’s entire business relies on a solid data foundation – and the Data Infrastructure team is the owner and steward of that foundation. While real estate data is a complex and challenging domain, it is our job to make sure that we provide a world class data set to power our pricing capabilities and machine learning algorithms. Just a single piece of incorrect data can cause home value to swing by hundreds of thousands of dollars! Additionally, our real estate data allows us to make crucial business decisions, expose useful information to our customers, and analyze market trends.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Processing large amounts of real estate and transactional data in batch and real time to generate a highly accurate world class data set.
- Understanding how to quantify uncertainty with our data.
- Deriving fields from unstructured data (e.g. extracting data from home photos and satellite images with computer vision algorithms and extracting data from MLS remarks with natural language processing).
- Performing analysis to ensure our datasets are robust and reliable for machine learning and business use cases.
- Working with data processing technologies such as Spark, Airflow, Pytorch, Jupyter, and Pandas
We're looking for teammates who have:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
- 2+ years of track record in building and delivering production quality software systems
- A deep understanding of data processing technologies such as SQL, Spark, Hadoop, and Kafka
- Experience with Airflow, Luigi, or other ETL scheduling technologies
- The ability to propose and test hypothesis to problems, and drive toward the best solution whilst starting with incomplete information
- Experience with building resilient and reliable systems or data pipelines
- A focus on rapid delivery without sacrificing technical excellence
- Love delighting customers with honest, transparent products and experiences
- Experience working with AWS, microservice architecture, Python/Go/Scala, Kubernetes
- Experience working with GIS Data
More About Us:
Want to learn more about us and how we are revolutionizing the home buying and selling process? Learn more about us on our website, check out our profile on The Muse to learn more about our culture from our team members, or read our blog posts to hear about the work we are doing.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks:
- Full medical, dental, and vision with optional 70% coverage for dependents
- Flexible vacation policy
- Generous parental leave
- Paid time off to volunteer
Please note that these benefits and perks are available only to Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor Values Openness:
Back to top