Senior Research Scientist
- Flexible / Remote
Are you intrigued by the thought of disrupting a trillion dollar industry through technology? At Opendoor, we’re on a mission to make it simple to buy and sell homes. The traditional process is broken, with an average home taking over 90 days to sell and costing thousands of dollars. We empower everyone with the freedom to move by making buying and selling a home stress-free and instant. We’ve built an exceptional team, seen strong growth, served over 85,000 customers and recently went public! The coming years present a tremendous opportunity for innovation as we explore new frontiers and scale nationwide.
About the Role:
As a Research Scientist, you will demonstrate data breakthroughs for Opendoor. You will create and develop a diverse portfolio of proofs of concept, balancing project risk versus potential impact. You have a portfolio mindset, minimizing risk by exploring a variety of uncorrelated projects, rigorously prioritizing projects given uncertainty, and working inside fast feedback loops. Projects can range from step-function algorithmic improvements due to integrating new data sources to partial- or fully-algorithmic automation of human processes, driving leveraged operational efficiencies.
As a Research Scientist, you will:
- Build and evolve models that drive massive customer impact
- Identify opportunities at all stages of the modeling lifecycle, including new models, new data sources, enhancements to models, and rapid feedback loops
- Provoke trade-offs and prioritize work across a portfolio of potential projects based on impact and scope vs. effort and risk
- Produce convincing structural and data-driven analyses to falsify ideas or move them forward
- Clearly and concisely articulate the business impact of your work
- Work pragmatically at a high cadence to ship modeling opportunities, such that we generate high learning throughput
We’re looking for teammates who have:
- Adeptness in working with any kind of data (structured, unstructured, scraping, database tables, etc.)
- Ability to create machine learning models to solve business problems, applying excellent business judgment and orientation toward impact
- Proficiency in a programming language to be able to solve a business problem in a full-stack, data-driven way (scraping data, ETL, web-hosted ML model)
- Ability to quickly (1-2 weeks) build proofs of concept and identify the highest-leverage areas to iterate efficiently
- Desire to identify, perform, and automate laborious work (e.g. hand-labeling 100 examples to understand the job at hand, then systematizing the process)
- Strong knowledge of statistics
- Highly effective verbal and written communication skills
- 4+ years of data science and generalist engineering experience over a diversity of products
- A risk-aware, investor’s mindset (seeking out and placing bets on a portfolio of projects)
- Proficiency in a relevant modeling or statistics specialization, such as macroeconomic modeling, portfolio optimization, stochastic modeling, or human-in-loop data enrichment
- A public portfolio of full stack data products, demos, or blog posts
More About Us
Want to learn more about us and how we are revolutionizing the home buying and selling process? Learn more about us on our website, check out our profile on The Muse to learn more about our culture from our team members, or read our blog posts to hear about the work we are doing.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks:
- Your choice of coverage for medical, dental, and vision (optional for dependents)
- Flexible vacation policy
- Commuter benefit
- Generous parental leave
- Paid time off to volunteer
Please note that these benefits and perks are available only to Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor values Openness
Our team celebrates our diverse backgrounds. We believe that being open about who we are and what we do allows us to be better. Individuals seeking employment at Opendoor are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other protected status under all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
Back to top