Senior Mortgage Underwriter
The Mortgage Loan Operations Team strives to simplify loan procedures and processes, provide superior services to the customer and create long-term value by streamlining the origination process and originating loans in a cost-effective manner.
These objectives are accomplished through the accurate processing of loan documents within the company standards to assure the borrower(s) receive the appropriate documents, containing correct information on time for their scheduled closing. Proper and timely setup of the account on our processing system with complete and accurate information is essential to the department’s success. Mortgage pipelines must be monitored systematically to ensure timely processing of all applications.
The Mortgage Underwriter is responsible for the evaluation of the borrower(s) overall creditworthiness. These operations include, but are not limited to, evaluating the mortgage loan application and documents provided by the customer in a timely manner, ensure loans adhere to investor and agency guidelines, managing personal pipeline and ensuring all applications are within SLA, and responding and providing status information to all other internal interested parties. The Mortgage Underwriter is responsible for rendering loan approvals or declines based on investor and agency guidelines and overlays.
- Daily pipeline management and maintaining SLA
- Meet all quality metrics as communicated by management
- Proficient in all investor and company guidelines
- Underwrites FHA and VA loans to verify for completeness, accuracy, and compliance while maintaining excellent quality
- Ensures adherence to policies, guidelines and procedures as well as compliance regulations (HMDA, TILA, RESPA, HOEPA, FCRA and ECOA) and credit guidelines
- Assist with renegotiation of loans base on credit guidelines
- Analyze customer's loan-to-value ratio, debt-to-income ratio, credit report, application, income and assets, source(s) of down payment funds, and supporting documentation to identify potential fraud or misrepresentation
- Review appraisals to ensure that loans meet secondary market, investor, and company standards
- Ensures achievement and maintenance of performance standards to keep loans flowing into appropriate loan operations queues
- Coordinates with other Mortgage Loan Operations contacts to ensure work distribution and pipeline managers provide optimal service level agreements
- Communicates, demonstrates and inspires others to incorporate Opendoor’s vision and core values in daily activities
Specific Skills Required:
- Thorough understanding of Conventional (Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac) underwriting guidelines
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to make lending decisions and translate guidelines
- Ability to work independently and as a team; ability to garner support and collaborate with others
- Detailed knowledge of overall mortgage lending processes, including processing, underwriting and closing
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a deadline-driven environment; strong sense of urgency
- Ability to work collaboratively and supportively with management to achieve business objectives
- Three (3) years of Conventional Underwriting experience
- Direct Endorsement (DE) Certification required
- VA SAR/LAPP Certification required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired
- High school or G.E.D. equivalent required
More About Us
Want to learn more about us and how we are revolutionizing the home buying and selling process? Learn more about us on our website, check out our profile on The Muse to learn more about our culture from our team members, or read our blog posts to hear about the work we are doing.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks:
- Full medical, dental, and vision with optional 70% coverage for dependents
- Flexible vacation policy
- Educational budget to invest in your career development and growth
- Fitness/Commuter Benefit stipend
- Generous parental leave
- Paid time off to volunteer
Please note that these benefits and perks are available only to Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor values Openness
Our team celebrates our diverse backgrounds. We believe that being open about who we are and what we do allows us to be better. Individuals seeking employment at Opendoor are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other protected status under all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
Back to top