Senior Data Scientist - Homes
- San Francisco, CA
Are you intrigued by the thought of disrupting a trillion dollar industry through technology? At Opendoor, we’re on a mission to make it simple to buy and sell homes. The traditional process is broken, with an average home taking over 90 days to sell and costing thousands of dollars. We empower everyone with the freedom to move by making buying and selling a home stress-free and instant. We’ve built an exceptional team, seen strong growth, served over 80,000 customers (with an annual run rate of $5 billion), and raised $1.3 billion in funding. With Covid-19, the world is changing, and real estate is no exception. The coming years present a tremendous opportunity for innovation as we explore new frontiers and scale nationwide.
As a senior data scientist for homes, you will partner with Product, Engineering, and Operations to decide what repairs we should do before listing our homes, if we should renovate them to maximize their resale value, and what vendors to use to minimize cost while maintaining quality. You will also help us improve the self-tour experience so we can continue to attract independent buyers. By efficiently managing our homes, you can drive massive growth in our business and create a foundation for launching new products.
As a Data Scientist you will:
- Define metrics to understand the cost and quality of home repairs
- Identify opportunities to improve our models and policies for preventing incidents
- Design experiments to determine when renovation has a positive return on investment
- Develop strategies to capture data on buyer preferences
- Launch products like home personalization for buyers and maintenance for homeowners
- Become a domain expert in real estate and construction management
We’re looking for teammates who have:
- 5+ years of experience
- Comfort writing SQL queries
- Facility with Python or R
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of causal inference and Bayesian statistics
Bonus points if:
- You have experience in operational excellence, fraud detection, or signal processing
- You love delighting customers with seamless and meticulous products
- You are committed to iteratively driving results and becoming better every day
- You are obsessed with customers and making something people want
- You are excited to join a radically transparent team and celebrate our successes together
- You are propelled forward by working on hard data science problems
- You are interested in how to make the best decisions under uncertainty
More About Us
Want to learn more about us and how we are revolutionizing the home buying and selling process? Learn more about us on our website, check out our profile on The Muse to learn more about our culture from our team members, or read our blog posts to hear about the work we are doing.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks:
- Full medical, dental, and vision with optional 70% coverage for dependents
- Flexible vacation policy
- Commuter Benefit stipend
- Generous parental leave
- Paid time off to volunteer
Please note that these benefits and perks are available only to Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor values Openness
Our team celebrates our diverse backgrounds. We believe that being open about who we are and what we do allows us to be better. Individuals seeking employment at Opendoor are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other protected status under all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
Back to top