Senior Compliance Counsel - Mortgage
- San Francisco, CA
Founded in 2014, Opendoor’s mission is to empower everyone with the freedom to move. We believe the traditional real estate process is broken and our goal is simple: build a digital, end-to-end customer experience that makes buying and selling a home simple, certain and fast. We have assembled a dedicated team with diverse backgrounds to support more than 100,000 homes bought and sold with us and the customers who have selected Opendoor as a trusted partner in handling one of their largest financial transactions. But the work is far from over as we continue to grow in new markets. Transforming the real estate industry takes tenacity and dedication. It takes problem solvers and builders. It takes a tight knit community of teammates doing the best work of their lives, pushing one another to transform a complicated process into a simple one. So where do you fit in? Whether you’re passionate about real estate, people, numbers, words, code, or strategy -- we have a place for you. Real estate is broken. Come help us fix it.
We’re looking for a versatile and intellectually curious senior legal counsel to support Opendoor’s compliance program, with a focus on mortgage. Counsel in this role will help develop and oversee the compliance program for Opendoor’s affiliated mortgage lender, Opendoor Home Loans, and provide day-to-day compliance advice to the mortgage team.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Collaborating with a wide variety of internal and external partners to diagnose and address business unit and role-specific compliance needs
- Partnering with product and operational business teams at Opendoor to ensure our products, marketing, and processes comply with law and put our customers first
- Collaborate with regulators and public authorities as needed, including supporting company positions by developing responses to compliance complaints, investigations, and administrative proceedings.
- Remaining up to date on regulatory changes and mortgage industry best practices and keep the mortgage team apprised of such changes
- Developing and conducting trainings on compliance topics
- Coordinating and lead all aspects of internal compliance audits
- Drafting, implementing, and maintaining policies and procedures
- Overseeing company and individual licensing
- Applying expertise to new and potentially ground-breaking ideas
- Advising on day-to-day compliance matters and be a calm resource in case of escalations
We’re looking for teammates who have:
- A JD and a minimum of eight (8) years of legal experience. In-house experience with a rapidly growing consumer-facing technology company, or significant experiencing advising such companies, is preferred.
- Membership in the California, Arizona, or Texas Bar (in good standing) or eligibility to register as Registered In-House Counsel. While full-time remote work is acceptable, ability to commute to Opendoor’s San Francisco, Phoenix, or Plano office is a plus.
- Knowledge of and experience applying statutory frameworks and mortgage industry guidelines (e.g., TILA, RESPA, ECOA, GLBA, UDAAP, TCPA, CAN-SPAM, CCPA).
- Experience with data security and data-sharing between affiliates.
- Experience with mortgage company and loan officer licensing.
- Experience with or interest in the real estate and consumer finance industries. We’re passionate about our mission to transform the home buying, selling, and financing experience.
- Experience with and passion for using technology to enhance lender operations and the borrower experience
More About Us:
Want to learn more about us and how we are revolutionizing the home buying and selling process? Learn more about us on our website, check out our profile on The Muse to learn more about our culture from our team members, or read our blog posts to hear about the work we are doing.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks:
- Full medical, dental, and vision with optional 70% coverage for dependents
- Flexible vacation policy
- Generous parental leave
- Paid time off to volunteer
Please note that these benefits and perks are available only to Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor Values Openness:
Back to top