Head of Commercial Real Estate and Workplace
Our People team combines human-centered design practices and analytical rigor to develop innovative solutions grounded in our employees needs and aspirations. We're a strategic function, partnering with business units across the company to drive results and the growth of our people.
The Head of Workplace will have operational oversight of all Opendoor offices. This position reports to the Head of People and will be based in our San Francisco office with travel to the other offices in the US.
You will be responsible for everything from daily operations & vendor management to real estate selection, design and buildout. A desire to work in a high growth environment and a drive to create empowering environments and experiences is critical.
As a Head of Workplace, you will:
- Leading a dynamic team of regional leaders overseeing employee Workplace Services and general facilities operations.
- Create a thoughtful and comprehensive workplace, lease, and space planning strategy based on Opendoor’s short and long-term business needs, aligned with company mission to provide a simple, yet operationally excellent & productive workplace for our employees.
- Develop and manage a team of office//workplace managers//coordinators in multiple US office locations to provide an energizing employee experience where our employees can do their best work.
- Build strong internal relationships with Opendoor employees, office stakeholders; specifically, Legal//Finance, IT, and People to foster a positive employee experience + meet regularly with business stakeholders to understand Opendoor’s real estate needs by team and by site.
- Lead and assist teams in the management of all maintenance programs including but not limited to: MEP, FLS, space planning, food & beverage, transportation, health & safety.
- Oversee and execute on target financial budget of various sites; partner with Finance to track monthly and quarterly metrics.
- Responsible for the management of vendor service contracts, periodic and ongoing performance & financial review, conducting RFP’s, and assuring performance of team, including service providers.
- Act as project manager to and//or assist in the identification and selection of contracted project managers to develop & deliver relocation projects and execute tenant improvements.
- Manage real estate lease expirations and other key lease dates and clauses. Develop and communicate clear business cases for the analysis, review, and approval of real estate projects for stakeholders, business leaders, and executives.
- Collaborate on all capital expenditures for the construction and alterations of office facilities, infrastructure and leased property, including the negotiation and management of all facilities leases.
- Work closely with finance to report on financial performance, validate and control vendor costs.
- Implement & manage disaster recovery & business continuity programs.
- Ensure compliance with state, local and federal regulations and applicable building codes.
Skills and Experience
- At least 10 years working in commercial real estate & workplace, preferably in a fast-paced, high-tech company.
- Demonstrated proficiency in project management, strategic planning, asset and facilities management, real estate finance/accounting, and leasing.
- Proven experience in delivering these construction projects on time & within budget.
- Extensive experience with project management of office fit out and infrastructure construction.
- Exceptional judgment and strong interpersonal skills to be comfortable, effective and persuasive in dealing with employees, senior management, and executive team while keeping a customer service mindset.
- Must have strong management and leadership skills and experience with managing relationships with cross functional and remote teams
- Knowledge of current and emerging trends in commercial real estate, regulations, technologies, techniques and approaches in workplace engagement, space planning and allocation.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills, including the ability to influence and partner with key stakeholders across the organization, and a track record of implementing organizational change by fostering collaboration and consensus building.
- Experience in overseeing planning, design, construction bidding/leveling process, renovation projects, and vendor governance within the design and construction.
This position is for employment at will and not for any definite time period.
More About Us
Want to learn more about us and how we are revolutionizing the home buying and selling process? Learn more about us on our website, check out our profile on The Muse to learn more about our culture from our team members, or read our blog posts to hear about the work we are doing.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks:
- Full medical, dental, and vision with optional 70% coverage for dependents
- Flexible vacation policy
- Educational budget to invest in your career development and growth
- Fitness/Commuter Benefit stipend
- Generous parental leave
- Paid time off to volunteer
Please note that these benefits and perks are available only to Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor values Openness
Our team celebrates our diverse backgrounds. We believe that being open about who we are and what we do allows us to be better. Individuals seeking employment at Opendoor are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other protected status under all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
Back to top