Senior Systems Architect - User Terminals
OneWeb's mission is to enable Internet access for everyone, everywhere. We want to see the next generation even more connected than the last, and to create opportunities for people today to access the opportunities made possible through the Internet. To fulfill our mission, OneWeb is revolutionizing the satellite industry and building a global communications network with a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide connectivity to people around the world. OneWeb is creating business solutions for Broadband, Government and Cellular Backhaul. Its high speed, low latency network will offer game-changing Mobility solutions to industries that rely on global connectivity, such as Aviation, Maritime, Automotive, Trains, and more.
We have more than $3 billion invested from incredible partners including SoftBank, Qualcomm, Grupo Salinas, Airbus, Virgin, Coca-Cola and more. We have signed our first customer contracts, we have ground infrastructure in Canada, Italy, Norway with more on the way and in February of 2019, we successfully launched our first six satellites into space. OneWeb is making incredible progress toward reaching our mission and we are looking for more, very talented individuals to help make it a reality.
If building the infrastructure to connect people everywhere is something you would like to make happen, then joining OneWeb may be a great personal and career move. We can provide an intellectually challenging workplace and fast growing opportunity with a clear purpose. Come join the team that is making communication ubiquitous on a global scale.
Sr. UT System Architect to join our talented and dynamic product development group and play a critical role in creating the next generation of advanced User Terminals for our OneWeb LEO satellites constellation. In this role the successful candidate will be directly involved with the design, development, and execution of engineering deliverables for various projects. The Senior UT System Architect receives general direction from the Director of Engineering, other Technical Leaders, and/or other management, but works with minimal supervision and is expected to demonstrate independent action and initiative. He or she provides direction and support to project team members as needed as both a technical leader and an individual contributor.
The Sr. UT System Architect is responsible for supporting software product requirements that address defined market opportunities and meet the Product Line Management. The position involves close interaction with the Product Line Management, other System Architects, internal Engineering Teams, 3rd party partners and other key stakeholders to ensure products are designed, implemented, delivered with a high quality and on schedule. A strong technical background is required, together with a clear focus on business goals and product objectives.
This role plays a significant part in aligning the product vision and engineering efforts with development partners (internally and externally) with the strategic direction of the company, fostering awareness and appropriate application of this vision at all levels of the organization and ensuring successful roll out of products to the market. They will be a core member of the team with responsibilities that range from an excellent understanding of IP, satellite communications and LTE technologies, driving the SW architectural design and technology decisions for shaping the products for various solutions and practices. They will be capable of interacting and possibly be responsible for leading multiple matrix development teams (internal and 3rd party external) while delivering best in class solutions across a breadth of different platforms and technologies. This position will be based at our User Terminal Engineering Development Center in the Tyson Corner, VA vicinity.
• Proactive engagement with external development partners on System Software Architecture and implementation.
• Ability to define system use cases and requirements based on product needs and strategy as defined by Product Line Management.
• Gather requirements and present them to various Engineering Teams in a clear, unambiguous manner
• Prioritize and package requirements into executable projects based on various factors (product value, time to market, technical dependencies, operational constraints, regulatory compliance etc.)
• Create and assemble requirement verification matrices based on product needs
• Assist in focusing external Engineering efforts across the organization with a sound and pragmatic approach towards quality product releases.
• Ensure delivered work meets technical, functional, performance and business requirements
• Engage with the Product Line management as part of launch planning and execution for releases
• Engage with Technical Ops and Engineering as part of release management
• Provide issue resolution and product solution engineering working along Engineering teams and Software Architects
• Collaborate with Product Line management to ensure product offerings are highly competitive in the face of dynamic market trends and competitor organizations and their products
• Must be willing to work overtime when deemed necessary to support commitments to internal and external customers.
• Expect up to 20% of travel
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• MS or equivalent in Computer Science or related field
• Minimum 10 years in a product development environment with at least 5 recent years in systems and software architecture role.
• Strong knowledge/experience with 3GPP LTE protocol stack is highly desirable.
• Strong knowledge/experience with satellite communications standards like DVB-S2, DVB-S2X is highly desirable.
• Knowledge of Requirements management tools and System Engineering and Modeling Languages like SysML and UML.
• Experience in application development for complex telecommunications, wireless comunications and satellite communications systems.
• Experience with technical solutions across N-Tier systems and OSI Layer 1 through 7 and TCP/IP communication protocols.
• Experience and knowledge of Web Based Services and architectures.
• Experience in Object Oriented Analysis and Design and programming languages supporting Object Oriented Programming like C++, Java, Python.
• Experience with engineering practices such as code re-factoring, design patterns, design-driven development, continuous integration, building highly scalable applications, application security
• Knowledge of agile software development process
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills paired with the ability to develop creative and efficient solutions
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills on technical matters
• Excellent leadership skills and enjoys teaching/mentoring others and able to lead multiple distributed development teams
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
• Ability to write technical specifications reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
• Ability to actively pursue technical solutions by consensus between different technical groups and development partners. The ability to run productive meetings on technical topics is also required.
• Ability to manage own learning and contribute to functional knowledge building
• Ability to work both independently and in various team settings
• A demonstrated ability to both learn and innovate in the field of waveform for radio links
• The ability to lead technical discussions for new features, drive consensus, and capture the results in writing in the form of designs, models, and requirements
• The ability to learn quickly, evaluate ideas, and propose technical solutions
• Comfort working with all levels of the organization, starting from mentoring internal and external junior technical single contributors to interacting and driving consensus with senior principal engineers.
*No work sponsorship available for this position.
Back to top