Senior System Engineer, Payload
At OneWeb, we’re on a mission to provide affordable, high-speed Internet access for the world’s unconnected and to achieve the #1 target of the World Society of Information – to create a community access point at every school in the world. We realize this isn’t easy, but we have designed a combination of satellites and ground systems that we know can achieve this, and we believe it is too important not to do. Eliminating extreme poverty, enabling relief for communities during emergencies or disasters, providing health care, clean water and education, starting a business, individual empowerment and civic transparency are all important goals and Internet access is a foundation for solving these global issues.
OneWeb is a technology and infrastructure provider. Our infrastructure enables Mobile carriers, ISP’s and governments, to provide Internet Access to their local and remote populations. Our team’s talent spans fields from semiconductor design, telecom core network and small cell production and deployment, to hyper local rural regulatory and educational challenges. We are developing leading edge technology to solve some of the world’s largest problems – and having a lot of fun doing it!
If building the infrastructure to connect 2 million schools is something you would like to make happen, then joining OneWeb may be a great personal and career move. We can provide an intellectually challenging workplace and fast growing opportunity with a clear purpose. Come join the team that is making affordable communication ubiquitous on a global scale.
The onsite resident engineer provides Satellite RF Payload technical leadership to the OneWeb program at the spacecraft manufacturer. The Resident Engineer will ensure sound technical execution of the design, assembly integration and test during the production phase of the program. He or she will follow the program through the first ten satellites in Toulouse, France, through the wider production of the wider constellation in Florida, United States.
This role will be part of a wider on-site engineering team responsible for ensuring compliance with the specifications of the contract and management of the schedule. The on-site representatives ensure a unified and efficient engineering process shadowing the manufacturer, in a fast pace environment.
The team is a highly capable technical group of experienced engineers who create, built, and test leading edge satellite subsystems. Our focus is identifying and resolving critical issues as early as possible to ensure, on-time, on-budget and accurate product delivery in an agile and focused style.
The Resident Engineer will collaborate across engineering disciplines to support the process associated with hardware, preproduction to orbit delivery, review boards, readiness reviews, subsystem and spacecraft data review and final acceptance with primary focus on the payload subsystem.
He or she will: monitor multiple vehicles design performance specifications and ensure contract compliance; represent the payload team during design, development, production and test phases; and, embed integration with on-site representatives to ensure a unified presence supporting the collective mission. The position requires frequent travel between Merrit Island, Florida and Toulouse, France.
- Ensure the Satellite Contractor is compliant with all contractual specification requirements relating to the payload
- Provide general system engineering and integration support in all areas with emphasis on the satellite payload; including development and verification of requirements, specifications, interfaces, and technical oversite support
- Monitor design, fabrication, and testing of a satellite RF payload, assuring technical issues are properly addressed.
- Provide technical leadership in identifying, mitigating, and resolving applicable risks and issues associated with the development, integration and test of the payload systems
- Review of System and Payload-level Test Matrix, Test plans, Test procedures, Subsystem and Unit Test Data
- Reviews of spacecraft component qualification status and hardware technical acceptability
- Monitor and review of payload level assembly, integration, and test operations including pre-environmental system performance test, environmental testing, and post environmental system performance tests
- Comparing the system performance with the contract specification requirements and identifying major and minor non-compliances.
- Synthesize and present technical data clearly and concisely, providing recommendations and informing management of technical activities, issues and accomplishments through reports and briefings to senior level management
- Travel required to Merrit Island, Florida
Essential Knowledge & Skills
- Relevant engineering degree, preferably with a focus in electrical engineering and RF communications
- At least 10 years’ experience leading and monitoring satellite payload programs as a resident engineer, to include: design, manufacture, assembly, integration and test of satellite payloads and systems requirements flow-down, in a LEO, MEO or GEO constellation.
- Strong demonstration of technical leadership, including risk assessment, schedule control, contract management background
- Excellent writing and reporting skills
- Excellent communication skills with people at all levels of the organization
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Must be willing to reside in Toulouse, France and relocate to Florida
- Travels regularly
- Objective, rational and multidisciplinary thinking
- Courage to act upon convictions
- A high degree of integrity
- Provide candid feedback
- Ability to face up to problems quickly and take action
- Acts within her or his circle of competence and knows the boundary
Desired Knowledge & Skills
- Experience with payload design and performance testing within the following areas: RF Communications Systems; RF Payload Functional Testing; Link Budgets; Antennas; Transponders; LNAs and SSPAs; Waveguide and Coax
- Experience in traditional spacecraft systems engineering and quality assurance practices including Product Assurance and non-compliance management.
Candidates must have the right to work in the US.
Meet Some of OneWeb's Employees
Fleet Management Engineer
Vikram manages the Launch and Early Operations Team and space to ground interface for OneWeb. He ensures perfect positioning of satellites during launch in order to provide optimal service to end users.
Back to top