Senior Payload Engineer
OneWeb's mission is to enable Internet access for everyone, everywhere. We want to see the next generation even more connected than the last, and to create opportunities for people today to access the opportunities made possible through the Internet. To fulfill our mission, OneWeb is revolutionizing the satellite industry and building a global communications network with a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide connectivity to people around the world. OneWeb is creating business solutions for Broadband, Government and Cellular Backhaul. Its high speed, low latency network will offer game-changing Mobility solutions to industries that rely on global connectivity, such as Aviation, Maritime, Automotive, Trains, and more.
We have more than $3 billion invested from incredible partners including SoftBank, Qualcomm, Grupo Salinas, Airbus, Virgin, Coca-Cola and more. We have signed our first customer contracts, we have ground infrastructure in Canada, Italy, Norway with more on the way and in February of 2019, we successfully launched our first six satellites into space. OneWeb is making incredible progress toward reaching our mission and we are looking for more, very talented individuals to help make it a reality.
If building the infrastructure to connect people everywhere is something you would like to make happen, then joining OneWeb may be a great personal and career move. We can provide an intellectually challenging workplace and fast growing opportunity with a clear purpose. Come join the team that is making communication ubiquitous on a global scale.
OneWeb is looking for a Senior RF Payload Engineering to join our team and support this unique mission. The Payload Engineer will ensure sound technical execution of the assembly, integration, test and production of OneWeb’s first generation satellite program as well as supporting the requirements definition and design of follow-on, advanced satellite efforts.
He or she will be part of the Satellite Subsystems Engineering team based at the OneWeb engineering offices in Tyson Corner. The team is a highly capable technical group of experienced engineers who create, build, and test leading edge satellite subsystems. Our focus is identifying and resolving critical issues as early as possible to ensure, on-time, on-budget and accurate product delivery in an agile and focused style.
The Payload Engineer will collaborate across engineering disciplines to support payload component and satellite design reviews, test activities, data reviews, and operations. He or she will be the primary RF payload interface between the OneWeb satellite procurement activities and the OneWeb Systems Engineering team to ensure the specification and final performance of the satellite payload achieves OneWeb’s mission. The position requires frequent travel to Merritt Island, Florida and Toulouse, France.
- Ensure the Satellite Contractor is compliant with all contractual specification requirements relating to the payload.
- Provide general system engineering and integration support in all areas with emphasis on the satellite payload; including development and verification of requirements, specifications, and interfaces.
- Monitor design, assembly, and testing of a satellite RF payload, assuring technical issues are properly addressed.
- Review of System and Payload-level Test Matrix, Test plans, Test procedures, Subsystem and Unit Test Data.
- Review spacecraft component qualification status and hardware technical acceptability
- Model RF system performance to determine impact of design non-conformances on the link budget performance and to define requirements for new systems.
- Provide RF payload engineering expertise to the satellite operations team during the Payload In-Orbit-Test phase and other critical payload activities.
- Collaborate with OneWeb Advanced Satellite Programs team to architect and define requirements for next generation satellite payloads.
- Synthesize and present technical data clearly and concisely, providing recommendations and informing management of technical activities, issues and accomplishments through reports and briefings to senior level management.
- Travel required to Europe and Merritt Island, Florida.
Skills and Experience:
- Relevant engineering degree, preferably with a focus in electrical engineering and RF communications.
- At least 10 years of experience leading and monitoring satellite payload programs to include: design, manufacture, assembly, integration and test of satellite payloads and systems requirements flow-down, in a LEO, MEO or GEO constellation.
- Excellent writing and reporting skills.
- Excellent communication skills with people at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Objective, rational and multidisciplinary thinking skills.
- Courage to act upon convictions.
- A high degree of integrity.
- Ability to provide candid feedback.
- Ability to face up to problems quickly and take action.
- Acts within her or his circle of competence and knows the boundary.
- Must be willing to travel regularly to Europe and Merritt Island, Florida.
Desired Knowledge & Skills:
- Experience with payload design and performance testing within the following areas: RF Communications Systems; RF Payload Functional Testing; Link Budgets; Antennas; Transponders; LNAs and SSPAs; Waveguide and Coax
- Experience with RF system modeling and modeling tools such as MATLAB Simulink, SystemVue, and/or ADS.
No visa sponsorship or relocation is available for this position.
Back to top