Senior Payload Engineer
At OneWeb, we’re on a mission to provide affordable, high-speed Internet access for the world’s unconnected and to achieve the #1 target of the World Society of Information – to create a community access point at every school in the world. We realize this isn’t easy, but we have designed a combination of satellites and ground systems that we know can achieve this, and we believe it is too important not to do. Eliminating extreme poverty, enabling relief for communities during emergencies or disasters, providing health care, clean water and education, starting a business, individual empowerment and civic transparency are all important goals and Internet access is a foundation for solving these global issues.
OneWeb is a technology and infrastructure provider. Our infrastructure enables Mobile carriers, ISP’s and governments, to provide Internet Access to their local and remote populations. Our team’s talent spans fields from semiconductor design, telecom core network and small cell production and deployment, to hyper local rural regulatory and educational challenges. We are developing leading edge technology to solve some of the world’s largest problems – and having a lot of fun doing it!
If building the infrastructure to connect 2 million schools is something you would like to make happen, then joining OneWeb may be a great personal and career move. We can provide an intellectually challenging workplace and fast-growing opportunity with a clear purpose. Come join the team that is making affordable communication ubiquitous on a global scale.
OneWeb is looking for a Senior RF Payload Engineering to join our team and support this unique mission. The Payload Engineer will ensure sound technical execution of the assembly, integration, test and production of OneWeb’s first generation satellite program as well as supporting the requirements definition and design of follow-on, advanced satellite efforts.
He or she will be part of the Satellite Subsystems Engineering team based at the OneWeb engineering offices in Tyson Corner. The team is a highly capable technical group of experienced engineers who create, build, and test leading edge satellite subsystems. Our focus is identifying and resolving critical issues as early as possible to ensure, on-time, on-budget and accurate product delivery in an agile and focused style.
The Payload Engineer will collaborate across engineering disciplines to support payload component and satellite design reviews, test activities, data reviews, and operations. He or she will be the primary RF payload interface between the OneWeb satellite procurement activities and the OneWeb Systems Engineering team to ensure the specification and final performance of the satellite payload achieves OneWeb’s mission. The position requires frequent travel to Merritt Island, Florida and Toulouse, France.
- Ensure the Satellite Contractor is compliant with all contractual specification requirements relating to the payload.
- Provide general system engineering and integration support in all areas with emphasis on the satellite payload; including development and verification of requirements, specifications, and interfaces.
- Monitor design, assembly, and testing of a satellite RF payload, assuring technical issues are properly addressed.
- Review of System and Payload-level Test Matrix, Test plans, Test procedures, Subsystem and Unit Test Data.
- Review spacecraft component qualification status and hardware technical acceptability
- Model RF system performance to determine impact of design non-conformances on the link budget performance and to define requirements for new systems.
- Provide RF payload engineering expertise to the satellite operations team during the Payload In-Orbit-Test phase and other critical payload activities.
- Collaborate with OneWeb Advanced Satellite Programs team to architect and define requirements for next generation satellite payloads.
- Synthesize and present technical data clearly and concisely, providing recommendations and informing management of technical activities, issues and accomplishments through reports and briefings to senior level management.
- Travel required to Europe and Merritt Island, Florida.
Skills and Experience:
- Relevant engineering degree, preferably with a focus in electrical engineering and RF communications.
- At least 10 years of experience leading and monitoring satellite payload programs to include: design, manufacture, assembly, integration and test of satellite payloads and systems requirements flow-down, in a LEO, MEO or GEO constellation.
- Excellent writing and reporting skills.
- Excellent communication skills with people at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Objective, rational and multidisciplinary thinking skills.
- Courage to act upon convictions.
- A high degree of integrity.
- Ability to provide candid feedback.
- Ability to face up to problems quickly and take action.
- Acts within her or his circle of competence and knows the boundary.
- Must be willing to travel regularly to Europe and Merritt Island, Florida.
Desired Knowledge & Skills:
- Experience with payload design and performance testing within the following areas: RF Communications Systems; RF Payload Functional Testing; Link Budgets; Antennas; Transponders; LNAs and SSPAs; Waveguide and Coax
- Experience with RF system modeling and modeling tools such as MATLAB Simulink, SystemVue, and/or ADS.
No visa sponsorship or relocation is available for this position.
Back to top