Senior Network Engineer
At OneWeb, we’re on a mission to provide affordable, high-speed Internet access for the world’s unconnected and to achieve the #1 target of the World Society of Information Systems – to create a community access point at every school in the world. We realize this isn’t easy, but we have designed a combination of satellites and ground systems that we know can achieve this, and we believe it is too important not to do. Eliminating extreme poverty, enabling relief for communities during emergencies or disasters, providing health care, clean water and education, starting a business, individual empowerment and civic transparency are all important goals and Internet access is a foundation for solving these global issues.
OneWeb is a technology and infrastructure provider. Our infrastructure enables Mobile carriers, ISPs, and governments, to provide Internet Access to their local and remote populations. Our team’s talent spans fields from semiconductor design, telecom core network and small cell production and deployment, to hyper local rural regulatory and educational challenges. We are developing leading edge technology to solve some of the world’s largest problems – and having a lot of fun doing it!
If building the infrastructure to connect two million schools is something you would like to make happen, then joining OneWeb may be a great personal and career move. We can provide an intellectually challenging workplace and fast growing opportunity with a clear purpose. Come join the team that is making affordable communication ubiquitous on a global scale.
The Sr. Network Engineer is a member of the OneWeb Wide Area Network team, this role will develop and support a global network architecture that provides high availability, seamless data connectivity between OneWeb Satellite Network Access Portals (Teleports), globally located POPs, our Network Operations Centers, and related OSS/BSS.
- Designs and supports large scale hosting solutions for server farms in Data Center or Co-Lo facilities.
- Designs and supports high performance transport solution in terms of POP placements and peering strategies
- Works with equipment vendors and service providers to determine the offerings that meet the gathered requirements.
- Ability to coordinate solutions with customers and vendors to provide the strategy for the overall OneWeb’s LAN/WAN & IP Network Architecture.
- Develops and publishes standards for IP & Routing network architecture to include customer projects and Peering points. Robust IP planning & engineering with well architected backhaul, create a very high performing, low latency, high availability, and secure operating model.
- Develops and defines strategies for validating the OneWeb’s Global Network Design.
- Analyzes and models long term network demands, provides guidance to optimize network performance and capacity in a Service Provider environment.
- Determines SLAs for a global network based on requirements and interface documents from other teams to meet their needs, including other network segments, management, and security teams.
- Designs the End-to-End QoS at all layers of the stack to ensure low latency and optimized services delivery.
Develops OneWeb’s NFV/SDN solution with Openstack implementations.
- Uses knowledge of existing and upcoming network technologies to design a scalable network that is flexible enough to account for future growth and requirements.
- Develops solutions to ensure optimized cost of production and great customer experience through effective leverage of caching, ISP(s) integration, smart content management, routing, analytics, cloud and virtualization.
- Excellent ability for clear and concise oral and written communication; capability to interface at multiple levels and successfully present technical information.
- Develops, documents, and communicates a long-term vision for the OneWeb IP network Architecture
- Manages vendor partnerships and drive OneWeb objectives in a creative and with win-win approach.
- Works with other organizations and disciplines including engineering, business management, marketing, and sales
- As the Sr. Network Engineer, you will be a key person in the WAN team for all things IP, Routing, Peering and overall
- Networking Strategy and Architecture.
Required skills and experience:
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in telecommunications preferably with a Tier 1/2 ISP or Service provider ISP, MSO, or other carrier centric environment.
- At least 10 years of technology leadership experience supporting a large, geographically distributed network infrastructure.
- At least 10 years of experience in architecting reliable and high-performing networks
- At least 10 years of experience with network design, protocols, hardware, configuration, tools, monitoring, and troubleshooting on large IP4/IPv6/MPLS/OSPF/BGP and Ethernet networks
- Strong knowledge in Data Center principles, transport/backbone/peering designs and implementations. Fiber optic knowledge is highly desirable.
- Strong experience in developing reliable and high-performing networks integrating LAN, WAN, Internet, and intranet components.
- Experience analyzing network performance, working knowledge of Network Management Systems and implementation thereof.
- Strong experience with network security principles, designs, and implementations. Hands-on knowledge of security devices and approaches.
- Extensive experience with TCP/IP, routing protocols, QoS, caching, DNS, header and data compression.
- Ability to decompose system level needs into architectures and implementations that result in efficient and secure networks.
- Ability to work well with other organizations and disciplines including engineering, business management, marketing, and sales
- Experience working with and leading other engineers.
- Understanding and experience with satellite based telecommunication systems is a plus, but not required.
- Successful experience as an individual contributor and/or technical lead in the development of complex telecommunications systems with emphasis on LTE and IP networking systems.
- Ability to resolve complex problems requiring innovative solutions and out-of-the-box thinking.
- Ability to evaluate and specify the interworking of many networking protocols and stacks
- Ability and experience as a member of a goal driven multi-discipline team. Ability to work well with other organizations and disciplines including engineering, business management, marketing, and sales.
- Strong presentation skills with ability to tailor style to specific audience types; Experience presenting to customers and external audiences.
- Excellent written and communication skills and ability to work in large diverse team environments.
- MS or equivalent education required.
Must have the right to work in the EEA (European Economic Area)
Back to top