Senior Hardware / Electrical Engineer
At OneWeb, we’re on a mission to provide affordable, high-speed Internet access for the world’s unconnected and to achieve the #1 target of the World Society of Information Systems – to create a community access point at every school in the world. We realize this isn’t easy, but we have designed a combination of satellites and ground systems that we know can achieve this, and we believe it is too important not to do. Eliminating extreme poverty, enabling relief for communities during emergencies or disasters, providing health care, clean water and education, starting a business, individual empowerment and civic transparency are all important goals and Internet access is a foundation for solving these global issues.
OneWeb is a technology and infrastructure provider. Our infrastructure enables Mobile carriers, ISP’s and governments, to provide Internet Access to their local and remote populations. Our team’s talent spans fields from semiconductor design, telecom core network and small cell production and deployment, to hyper local rural regulatory and educational challenges. We are developing leading edge technology to solve some of the world’s largest problems – and having a lot of fun doing it!
If building the infrastructure to connect 2 million schools is something you would like to make happen, then joining OneWeb may be a great personal and career move. We can provide an intellectually challenging workplace and fast growing opportunity with a clear purpose. Come join the team that is making affordable communication ubiquitous on a global scale.
User Terminal team is seeking a Senior Hardware Engineer to join our talented and dynamic product development group and play a critical role in creating the next generation of advanced User Terminals for our OneWeb LEO satellites constellation. In this role, the successful candidate will be directly involved with the design, development, and execution of engineering deliverables for various projects. The Hardware Engineer receives general direction from Hardware Manager, other Technical Leaders, and/or other management, but works with minimal supervision and is expected to demonstrate independent action and initiative. He or she provides direction and support to project team members as needed as both a technical leader and an individual contributor. This position will be based at our Engineering Development Center in the Tyson Corner, VA vicinity.
- Manages the design of User Terminals comprising high-speed, high-density digital and analog, and mixed signal for high volume production
- Generate and maintain specifications for User Terminals including modules, sub-assemblies, components/parts that comprise the User Terminals.
- Leads/executes product development solutions using development tools (CAD, analysis software, etc.) to generate robust CAD databases, schematic drawings, prototypes, and written reports.
- Help setup and maintain Product Data Management for organizing and managing product design assets, supporting globally distributed engineering teams with projects, item and Bill of Materials Management, Change & Release Management, Classification Management and Workflow
- Support engineering process development and design for manufacturability efforts through specific assignments
- Support manufacturing personnel with evaluations of deviated components, corrective action investigations and other quality related activities.
- Provides accurate, well-defined, and articulate verbal and written presentations to partners and other team members that effectively communicate the value of his/her designs.
- Engages and manages outside vendors for prototyping, gathering of DFx feedback, obtaining cost/schedule estimates, etc.
- Collaborates with internal teams in user research, industrial design, operations, business development, and quality assurance to develop good processes, close working relationships, and successful products.
- Work closely with other electrical, mechanical, thermal, and NPI engineers in all phases of the project.
- Frequent and direct contact with partners regarding deliverables, and general project communications to maintain and improve deliverables and products delivery.
- Assures system and product quality by designing testing methods; testing finished product and system capabilities; confirming fabrication, assembly, and installation processes.
- Expect up to 20% of travel
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree (advanced degree preferred) in Electrical Engineering plus 8 years work experience in an engineered product environment
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience high-speed digital, FPGA, analog, DC/DC switching power supply designs
- RF Experience such as IF filters, RF MUX, frequency synthesizer inter-stage matching a plus.
- Strong understanding of electrical engineering principles and design practices
- Demonstrated understanding of overall system architecture and interrelationships with other systems/assemblies and their consideration during development.
- In-depth understanding of Satellite Communications equipment and components such as, RF converters, antenna and satellite modems.
- Demonstrated ability to apply continuous improvement techniques to existing processes and procedures.
- Familiar with lab equipment such as multi-meter, oscilloscope, function generator, spectrum analyzer, network analyzer, etc.
- Familiar with wireless design (WiFi 802.11ac) and Power-Over-Ethernet technologies.
- Working knowledge of schematic capture and PCB layout tools.
- Experience in rapid prototype of circuit boards in a lab setting, including schematic design, prototype bring-up, debug, verification and signal characterization.
- Skilled in engineering design, analysis, integration, debug, manufacturing, and documentation tools.
- Familiar with the impact of the manufacturing process on the key factors that control the form, fit, and function of user terminals.
No visa sponsorship available for this job.
Back to top