Senior GN&C Engineering Specialist
At OneWeb, we’re on a mission to provide affordable, high-speed Internet access for the world’s unconnected and to achieve the #1 target of the World Society of Information Systems – to create a community access point at every school in the world. We realize this isn’t easy, but we have designed a combination of satellites and ground systems that we know can achieve this, and we believe it is too important not to do. Eliminating extreme poverty, enabling relief for communities during emergencies or disasters, providing health care, clean water and education, starting a business, individual empowerment and civic transparency are all important goals and Internet access is a foundation for solving these global issues.
OneWeb is a technology and infrastructure provider. Our infrastructure enables Mobile carriers, ISP’s and governments, to provide Internet Access to their local and remote populations. Our team’s talent spans fields from semiconductor design, telecom core network and small cell production and deployment, to hyper local rural regulatory and educational challenges. We are developing leading edge technology to solve some of the world’s largest problems – and having a lot of fun doing it!
If building the infrastructure to connect 2 million schools is something you would like to make happen, then joining OneWeb may be a great personal and career move. We can provide an intellectually challenging workplace and fast growing opportunity with a clear purpose. Come join the team that is making affordable communication ubiquitous on a global scale.
OneWeb is looking for a Senior GN&C Engineering to join our team and support this unique mission. The GN&C Engineer will ensure sound technical execution of the design, assembly, integration and test of the spacecraft GN&C/AOCS subsystem and related flight software during the production phase of the program.
He or she will be part of the satellite engineering team based at the OneWeb engineering offices in Tyson Corner. The team is a highly capable technical group of experienced engineers who create, build, and test leading edge satellite subsystems. Our focus is identifying and resolving critical issues as early as possible to ensure, on-time, on-budget and accurate product delivery in an agile and focused style. The GN&C engineer will travel frequently to Toulouse, France and Merritt Island, Florida to follow work with the satellite contractor.
The GN&C Engineer will collaborate across engineering disciplines to support the process associated with hardware, preproduction to orbit delivery, review boards, readiness reviews, subsystem and spacecraft data review and final acceptance with primary focus on the GN&C/AOCS subsystem and related software.
He or she will: monitor multiple vehicles design performance specifications and ensure contract compliance; represent the AOCS team during design, development, production and test phases; and, embed integration with on-site representatives to ensure a unified presence supporting the collective mission.
- Ensure the Satellite Contractor is compliant with all contractual specification requirements relating to the attitude and orbit control subsystem (AOCS), guidance navigation and control (GN&C) and related software
- Provide general system engineering and integration support in all areas with emphasis on the satellite GNC, AOCS, and Flight Software; including development and verification of requirements, specifications, interfaces, and technical oversite support
- Monitor design, fabrication, and testing of a satellite GN&C/AOCS hardware, assuring technical issues are properly addressed.
- Provide technical leadership in identifying, mitigating, and resolving applicable risks and issues associated with the development, integration and test of the GN&C/AOCS subsystem and related software
- Review of spacecraft component qualification status and hardware technical acceptability
- Monitor and review of AOCS subsystem assembly, integration, and test operations
- Compare subsystem performance with the contract specification requirements and identify major and minor non-compliances.
- Provide GN&C/AOCS expertise to spacecraft operations team during In-Orbit Test phase and to aid in subsystem relate anomaly investigations
- Provide GN&C/AOCS expertise to spacecraft operations team in support of tool development for subsystem related performance analysis, calibration, and trending.
- Travel required to Toulouse, France and Merrit Island, Florida (~25% time)
Essential Knowledge & Skills
- Relevant engineering degree, preferably with a focus in controls engineering
- 5-10 years’ experience of relevant GN&C/AOCS subsystem engineering
- Relevant GN&C/AOCS experience in all phases of a spacecraft program lifecycle (design, AI&T, and on-orbit operations)
- Proven experience in several of following relevant domains:
- Satellite control system design and simulation
- Spacecraft momentum management
- Control theory, rigid and flexible body dynamics
- Orbital mechanics
- Validation of spacecraft flight software
- Spacecraft fault detection and correction
- Spacecraft command and data handling
- Flight Software configuration management
- Strong demonstration of technical leadership, including risk assessment, schedule control, contract management background
- Excellent writing and reporting skills
- Excellent communication skills with people at all levels of the organization
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Must be willing to travel to in Toulouse, France and Merritt Island, Florida
- Objective, rational and multidisciplinary thinking
- Courage to act upon convictions
- A high degree of integrity
- Provide candid feedback
- Ability to face up to problems quickly and take action
- Acts within her or his circle of competence and knows the boundary
Desired Knowledge & Skills
- Master’s Degree in Aerospace/Mechanical/Electrical Engineering with a focus on Control Systems
- Experience leading spacecraft GN&C/AOCS subsystems through design, AI&T, and on-orbit operations
- Experience working with spacecraft C&DH software; spacecraft fault detection and correction
- Experience with both AOCS/GNC hardware and software/algorithms
- Experience in traditional spacecraft systems engineering and quality assurance practices including Product Assurance and non-compliance management.
Back to top