Senior Core Network Engineer
At OneWeb, we’re on a mission to provide affordable, high-speed Internet access for the world’s unconnected and to achieve the #1 target of the World Society of Information Systems – to create a community access point at every school in the world. We realize this isn’t easy, but we have designed a combination of satellites and ground systems that we know can achieve this, and we believe it is too important not to do. Eliminating extreme poverty, enabling relief for communities during emergencies or disasters, providing health care, clean water and education, starting a business, individual empowerment and civic transparency are all important goals and Internet access is a foundation for solving these global issues.
OneWeb is a technology and infrastructure provider. Our infrastructure enables Mobile carriers, ISP’s and governments, to provide Internet Access to their local and remote populations. Our team’s talent spans fields from semiconductor design, telecom core network and small cell production and deployment, to hyper local rural regulatory and educational challenges. We are developing leading edge technology to solve some of the world’s largest problems – and having a lot of fun doing it!
If building the infrastructure to connect 2 million schools is something you would like to make happen, then joining OneWeb may be a great personal and career move. We can provide an intellectually challenging workplace and fast growing opportunity with a clear purpose. Come join the team that is making affordable communication ubiquitous on a global scale.
The Senior Core Network Engineer is a member of the OneWeb team responsible for design, development, and implementation of the 3GPP Evolved Packet Core (EPC) system complimented by common core elements. The EPC Core Network and common core will provide standards based implementation, high availability, seamless QoS based IP services connecting OneWeb’s EPC Core to the customer networks. The core network will be also integrated with the OSS/BSS layers for service management from both the end-user perspective as well as internal network management.
- Lead technical expert on 3GPP Evolved Packet Core and the related Subscriber profile and policy systems (HSS/PCRF).
- Formulate, document and engage with vendors to provide solutions as required by protocol interworking or product requirements
- Work with vendor and peer organizations to validate designs and enhancements in lab environments
- Lead the design, development and integration efforts related the Core Network (MME, SGW, PGW) and common core elements (DRA/HSS/PCRF)
- Develop testing strategies against the EPC and Common Core elements from both a unit and system perspective.
- Support as technical escalation contact the integration test, end-end lab testing and field deployments
- Ensure the OneWeb system requirements for delivering QoS based IP services across the EPC are meet
- Analyze, design, and develop Analytics and Key Performance Indicators for the EPC and Subscriber Management systems to ensure the systems can be adequately monitored for threshold and predictive analytics.
- Expertise in and the ability to develop as well as thoroughly document technical requirements in system protocol specifications and interface control document
- Manage vendor and equipment lifecycles from the engineering and development perspective focused on vendor product enhancements
- Experienced in developing and implementing EPC or similar 3GPP Lawful Intercept (LI) focused on the X1/X2/X3 interfaces
- Work with other organizations and disciplines including engineering, business management, marketing, and sales
- Strong presentation skills with ability to tailor style to specific audience types; Experience presenting to customers and executive management
- Excellent ability for clear and concise oral and written communication; capability to interface at multiple levels and successfully present technical information
- Analyze and incorporate financial impacts of engineering decisions.
Required skills and experience:
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in telecommunications preferably with a Tier 1/2 ISP or Service provider ISP, MSO, or other carrier centric environment.
- At least 10 years of technology leadership experience supporting a large, geographically distributed network infrastructure.
- At least 10 years’ experience in architecting reliable and high-performing networks; integrating LTE / EPC, IMS, VoIP, VoLTE, Wireless Core or similar technologies
- At least 10 years of experience with network design, protocols, hardware, configuration, tools, monitoring, and troubleshooting on large IP4/IPv6 / SIP/ VoIP/ and Ethernet networks
- 5 years’ experience in developing LTE 3GPP based interface specifications, and understanding of 3GPP principles
- Direct experience with eNodeB to S/P-GW and overall LTE procedures strongly preferred.
- Significant experience in development and implementation of mobile systems generally, including Wi-Fi, VoLTE, IMS and other Real-Time packet core technologies
- 5 years’ experience in large-scale data center architecture/design, middleware architecture, design patterns, application deployment methods, automation, testing, compliance, and auditing Service-oriented architecture for cloud-based services; including service provisioning, product catalog integration, and billing systems integration
- Experience working with and leading other engineers
- Understanding and experience with satellite based telecommunication systems a plus, but not required.
- Successful experience as an individual contributor and/or technical lead in the development of complex telecommunications systems with emphasis on LTE and IP networking systems
- Ability to evaluate and specify the interworking of many networking protocols and stacks
- Ability and experience as a member of a goal driven multi-discipline team
- Ability to work well with other organizations and disciplines including engineering, business management, marketing, and sales
- Ability to resolve complex problems requiring innovative solutions
- Strong presentation skills with ability to tailor style to specific audience types; Experience presenting to customers and external audiences
- Excellent written and communication skills and ability to work in large diverse team environments
- MS or equivalent education required
No visa sponsorship available for this position
Meet Some of OneWeb's Employees
Fleet Management Engineer
Vikram manages the Launch and Early Operations Team and space to ground interface for OneWeb. He ensures perfect positioning of satellites during launch in order to provide optimal service to end users.
Back to top