Orbit Engineer (UK)
At OneWeb, we’re on a mission to provide affordable, high-speed Internet access for the world’s unconnected and to achieve the #1 target of the World Society of Information – to create a community access point at every school in the world. We realize this isn’t easy, but we have designed a combination of satellites and ground systems that we know can achieve this, and we believe it is too important not to do. Eliminating extreme poverty, enabling relief for communities during emergencies or disasters, providing health care, clean water and education, starting a business, individual empowerment and civic transparency are all important goals and Internet access is a foundation for solving these global issues.
OneWeb is a technology and infrastructure provider. Our infrastructure enables Mobile carriers, ISP’s and governments, to provide Internet Access to their local and remote populations. Our team’s talent spans fields from semiconductor design, telecom core network and small cell production and deployment, to hyper local rural regulatory and educational challenges. We are developing leading edge technology to solve some of the world’s largest problems – and having a lot of fun doing it!
If building the infrastructure to connect 2 million schools is something you would like to make happen, then joining OneWeb may be a great personal and career move. We can provide an intellectually challenging workplace and fast growing opportunity with a clear purpose. Come join the team that is making affordable communication ubiquitous on a global scale.
The Fleet Operations UK Satellite Operations Center (UKSOC) Orbit Engineer reports to the Flight Dynamics Mission Analyst and works with the Flight Dynamics team to provide real-time flight dynamics operations shift support for OneWeb’s satellite constellation operations. On the operations floor, the Orbit Engineer is the Flight Dynamics point of contact and oversees the on-shift Orbit Analysts. The Orbit Engineer will have an in-depth understanding of the Flight Dynamics software system as well as a thorough knowledge of the OneWeb satellite constellation and Concept of Operations in order to make approvals and decisions during operations. Prior to launch, this person will write and exercise Flight Dynamics procedures, run end-to-end tests against the software system, and work to prepare the team for Operations. The Orbit Engineer will support and participate in Simulations and Rehearsals to exercise the software and the team ahead of launch. During Mission Operations, this person will work with automated flight dynamics systems to perform orbit determination, generate maneuver plans (such as orbit raising, station keeping, and COLA response), develop contingency maneuver plans, analyze individual satellite trajectories, and generate other products from the Flight Dynamics system as required.
- Take ownership of Flight Dynamics products in support of satellite operations
- Guide on-console Orbit Analysts in the execution of Flight Dynamics activities
- Provide approvals and dispositions for high-importance Flight Dynamics items (such as Evasive Action planning)
- Support system readiness, planning, preparation, execution, and evaluation for all phases of spacecraft lifetime; from launch to mission to de-orbit
- Configure, operate, troubleshoot, and resolve issues in the Flight Dynamics operations applications software
- Perform on-console Flight Dynamics operations in a shift environment
- Monitoring the Flight Dynamics Element processes: Orbit Determination, Maneuver Planning, Trajectory Planning, Attitude Planning, Evasive Action planning, and others
- Generating and verifying maneuver plans and assessing performance
- Follow, develop, and maintain Flight Dynamics operational procedures
Required Skills and Experience:
- BS in Aerospace Engineering, Math, Physics, or other technical Engineering field
- Experience with orbit analysis tools, e.g., GMAT, OREKIT, STK, FreeFlyer
- Ability to work in an environment with rapidly changing mission/system requirements
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, take ownership of all aspects of job and take initiative
- Demonstrated leadership initiative
- Excellent oral and written skills and communication skills is essential
- A minimum of 5 years of aerospace industry or equivalent experience required
- 2 - 5 years of experience in a Mission Operations environment
- Working knowledge of UNIX
- Software scripting experience is desired in e.g. Python, Java Script, C#.
- Operations experience with Multi-satellite LEO constellation operations
*Must have the right to work in the EEA (European Economic Area)
Meet Some of OneWeb's Employees
Fleet Management Engineer
Vikram manages the Launch and Early Operations Team and space to ground interface for OneWeb. He ensures perfect positioning of satellites during launch in order to provide optimal service to end users.
Back to top