Operations Engineering, Technical Writer
At OneWeb, we’re on a mission to provide affordable, high-speed Internet access for the world’s unconnected and to achieve the #1 target of the World Society of Information Systems – to create a community access point at every school in the world. We realize this isn’t easy, but we have designed a combination of satellites and ground systems that we know can achieve this, and we believe it is too important not to do. Eliminating extreme poverty, enabling relief for communities during emergencies or disasters, providing health care, clean water and education, starting a business, individual empowerment and civic transparency are all important goals and Internet access is a foundation for solving these global issues.
OneWeb is a technology and infrastructure provider. Our infrastructure enables Mobile carriers, ISP’s and governments, to provide Internet Access to their local and remote populations. Our team’s talent spans fields from semiconductor design, telecom core network and small cell production and deployment, to hyper local rural regulatory and educational challenges. We are developing leading edge technology to solve some of the world’s largest problems – and having a lot of fun doing it!
If building the infrastructure to connect 2 million schools is something you would like to make happen, then joining OneWeb may be a great personal and career move. We can provide an intellectually challenging workplace and fast growing opportunity with a clear purpose. Come join the team that is making affordable communication ubiquitous on a global scale.
The Operations Engineering, Technical Writer (ODE) is a member of the OneWeb Communications Ground Segment (CGS) team, operating as part of our world class Global Network Operations Center (GNOC). The ODE will ensure that he has all Operation and Maintenance documentation/processes developed and controlled in a manner which enables our GNOC team to safely and reliably operate and maintain all hardware and software associated with the system. The ODE will achieve this by employing best in practice development of O&M manuals, troubleshooting guides, FDIR procedures and training materials, while working with the leaders and SMEs of the GNOC organization, vendors and other members of the team. The ODE will be responsible for gaining a working knowledge of GNOC operations and documenting various operational processes involving Satellite, Networking and Network Management tools and technologies. The ODE will be a key participant in various operational drills and rehearsals, to ensure the team is equipped with the right knowledge, tools and processes to be successful. ODE will be responsible managing technical knowledge and documentation relating to the overall operations of the GNOC.
- Work shoulder to shoulder with Global Network Operations Team in US and UK to develop a good understanding and working knowledge of the Operational concepts, tools, processes and technologies.
- Document processes, procedures and tasks, related to operational requirements around installation, configuration, network management and Fault Diagnostics, Isolation and Recovery (FDIR).
- Participate and support all GNOC rehearsals, drills and operational readiness activities
- Ensure that our library of existing documentation is up-to-date and consistent in tone and formatting
- Support engineering development activities such as requirements management, and managing formal program milestones related to operations
- Make modifications to existing operations procedures to incorporate lessons learned from various drills and rehearsals
- Liaise with Training, Operations, engineering, Quality and other business partners to identify, design and implement continuous improvements opportunities within the process development space
- Uses fundamental engineering concepts, practices, and procedures to analyze operational data/methods to identify performance improvement opportunities,
- Document work flows and process flows using MS office programs
- Supports the development and continual improvement of GNOC operational procedures
Required Skills and Experience:
- Experience in and ability to develop and thoroughly document technical operations process documentation, help tutorials, or user guides
- Have strong communication skills, both writing and speaking
- Be able to write accurately, concisely, and without grammatical errors
- Ability to write in explanatory and procedural styles for multiple audiences
- Be willing to communicate with people across different teams and time zones to stay up to speed on what’s going on
- Aptitude to connect with business processes and quickly learn new concepts.
- Ability to translate complex technical/business information so it is simple to users.
- Experience with document control/configuration management practices.
- Experience with documentation best practices & formats
- 4-year degree in a technical or related field
- 5 - 8 years of experience working in a technical documentation/Operational process development role. SATCOM or Telecommunications experience preferred
- Self-motivated and demonstrated ability to work independently
- Fluency in the MS Office suite and other publishing tools such as Visio
- Strong organization skills for content management and collaboration
- Ability to work with stakeholders across functional competencies and management levels
- Capability to handle sensitive material in compliance with internal and external requirements
- Experience in a live Network Operations and Control environment
- Experience troubleshooting, operating, and maintaining local and remote baseband, IF, RF, antennas, and WAN/LAN equipment
- Working knowledge of Satellite Communications Baseband, Network Management, and Modem systems equipment
No visa sponsorship available for this position
Back to top