Network Operations - Ground Support Engineer
At OneWeb, we’re on a mission to provide affordable, high-speed Internet access for the world’s unconnected and to achieve the #1 target of the World Society of Information Systems – to create a community access point at every school in the world. We realize this isn’t easy, but we have designed a combination of satellites and ground systems that we know can achieve this, and we believe it is too important not to do. Eliminating extreme poverty, enabling relief for communities during emergencies or disasters, providing health care, clean water and education, starting a business, individual empowerment and civic transparency are all important goals and Internet access is a foundation for solving these global issues.
OneWeb is a technology and infrastructure provider. Our infrastructure enables Mobile carriers, ISP’s and governments, to provide Internet Access to their local and remote populations. Our team’s talent spans fields from semiconductor design, telecom core network and small cell production and deployment, to hyper local rural regulatory and educational challenges. We are developing leading edge technology to solve some of the world’s largest problems – and having a lot of fun doing it!
If building the infrastructure to connect 2 million schools is something you would like to make happen, then joining OneWeb may be a great personal and career move. We can provide an intellectually challenging workplace and fast growing opportunity with a clear purpose. Come join the team that is making affordable communication ubiquitous on a global scale.
The Ground Support Engineer (GSE) is a member of the OneWeb Communications Ground Segment (CGS) team operating our world class GNOC Operations Facility (GOF). The Engineer will be responsible for ensuring the successful Production Network Operations. This includes monitoring the Production network for alarms and faults, and performing Fault Diagnostics, Isolation and Recovery (FDIR). The Engineer will work within the Network Operations team and utilize their considerable previous expertise in Gateway Network integration and operations to ensure a successful OneWeb Production program. The role will require working on a shift basis.
- Support Network Operations during the OneWeb Production Program
- Perform RF and Gateway Network Operations within the Production GOF
- Work with the Network Operations team to perform Gateway FDIR
- Document the operational processes required to support Gateway operations
- Support the configuration of the Network Management Systems to ensure a smooth and continuous network operation within the Production GOF
- Interact frequently with GOF Test Engineers, Ground Network Engineers, One Web Network Engineers and User Terminal Engineers to perform system integration and operations
- Perform Fault, Configuration, Accounting, Performance and Security (FCAPS) network management as part of the network operations team
- Create and update Incident, Change and Problem tickets related to operational issues, configuration changes and root cause investigations
- Ensures that the Network Management System and subsystems are operating correctly and readily upgradeable.
- Supports the development and continual service improvement of Gateway operational procedures
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor degree in Engineering and/or Computer Science or demonstrated equivalent experience
- At least 5 years’ experience gained in a live Network Operations and Gateway ground environment
- Extensive experience troubleshooting, operating, and maintaining local and remote baseband, IF, RF, antennas, and WAN/LAN equipment
- Extensive experience in performing RF Data Analysis & Pre-launch Optimization of Gateway sites and equipment
- Solid working knowledge of Satellite Communications Baseband, Network Management, and Modem systems equipment
- Solid working knowledge of Uplink Power Control and ACM Adaptive Coding and Modulation
- Complete understanding of GEO, MEO, and LEO telecommunications satellite technologies and systems
- Working knowledge of IP routing and networking
- In-depth prior experience of satellite/telecommunications network operations
- Excellent communications skills: ability to clearly and concisely convey ideas and technical information to engineers and senior staff members
- Detailed understanding of Network Management system software used in satellite and/or telecommunications systems
- Expertise in and the ability to develop and thoroughly document network operational procedures
- Self-starter, proactively takes the lead/initiative to ensure operational issues are resolved effectively and efficiently
- Understanding of Systems Engineering and end to end system testing principals
- Experience with satellite ground systems, satellite operations, and/or ground systems operations/development
- Experience with MEO/LEO systems a plus
- Ability to develop test scripts using Python or similar scripting language
- CCNP/JNCIP or other equivalent certification
- Dataminer experience
- Linux Experience
- Experience with Network Virtualization and Cloud system management
- Experience with high capacity networks a plus
- Understanding of data and RF network testing concepts – e.g. RFC2544 Testing
No visa sponsorship available for this position
Meet Some of OneWeb's Employees
Fleet Management Engineer
Vikram manages the Launch and Early Operations Team and space to ground interface for OneWeb. He ensures perfect positioning of satellites during launch in order to provide optimal service to end users.
Back to top