Ground System Engineer
At OneWeb, we’re on a mission to provide affordable, high-speed Internet access for the world’s unconnected and to achieve the #1 target of the World Society of Information – to create a community access point at every school in the world. We realize this isn’t easy, but we have designed a combination of satellites and ground systems that we know can achieve this, and we believe it is too important not to do. Eliminating extreme poverty, enabling relief for communities during emergencies or disasters, providing health care, clean water and education, starting a business, individual empowerment and civic transparency are all important goals and Internet access is a foundation for solving these global issues.
OneWeb is a technology and infrastructure provider. Our infrastructure enables Mobile carriers, ISP’s and governments, to provide Internet Access to their local and remote populations. Our team’s talent spans fields from semiconductor design, telecom core network and small cell production and deployment, to hyper local rural regulatory and educational challenges. We are developing leading edge technology to solve some of the world’s largest problems – and having a lot of fun doing it!
If building the infrastructure to connect 2 million schools is something you would like to make happen, then joining OneWeb may be a great personal and career move. We can provide an intellectually challenging workplace and fast growing opportunity with a clear purpose. Come join the team that is making affordable communication ubiquitous on a global scale.
The OneWeb, Fleet Management Segment (FMS) Ground Engineering (GE) is the Product Owner for Earth Station Control Element (ECE), managing technical knowledge and documentation relating to the overall space-to-ground link for the antenna interface, Front End Processor (FEP) to Command & Control interfaces, Modem to FEP interfaces, encryption interfaces, and performance in a real-time operations environment. This successful candidate will understand and have experience with satellite to ground link engineering, RF and digital space-to-ground interfaces, uplink and downlink encryption, Tracking, Telemetry and Command (TT&C) antennas and associated ground equipment, application software, and infrastructure hardware & software. This position will require management of Ground Controller operations processes and products. Finally, the GE works closely with FMS Senior Engineers, FMS Mission Directors, OneWeb System Engineering team, OneWeb segments, and mission operation team to support the system development and implementation and execution of real-time operations.
- Lead end-to-end deployment and acceptance of the ECE portion of the FMS Ground System hardware/software solution in the Satellite Operations Centers (SOCs)
- Develop detailed test procedures to verify and validate the Space to Ground ICD, internal and external interfaces
- Perform ECE system engineering and operations development & enhancement, including ECE requirements management, technical risk management, and external/internal interface definition and implementation
- Support UKSOC ECE to TT&C antenna interfaces, as well as other space to ground interfaces, ground data synchronization between the UKSOC and USSOC
- Development, test and deploy standard operating procedures, develop and conduct ECE operator training, and implement best practices
- Ensure compliance with the service agreement, establish and maintain antenna scheduling interfaces, monitor and support antenna production and deliveries, communication line procurement and perform on-site antenna acceptance testing.
- Develop and release SOC and Global Network Operations Center (GNOC) joint operations procedures
Required Skills and Experience:
- Excited about the OneWeb challenge!
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience related to satellite to ground link system hardware, RF engineering, application software, operations development and maintenance
- Detailed knowledge of real time operations software and hardware system development life cycle including integration & test, deployment, and production support
- Experience with commercial satellite command & control operations including use of government or commercial encryption protocols
- Extensive understanding of satellite operations including procedure & script development, training (Python or C/C++), mission planning and integration & test.
- Solid experience in system engineering including requirements management, CONOPS development, risk management, and segment & subsystem architectures development
- Solid understanding of satellite TT&C communication sub-systems and related technology
- Knowledge of information assurance & security and computing infrastructure system technology including cloud computing architecture
- Bachelor of Science, RF, Electrical Engineering or similar technical experience in a related field. Education and training through an advanced technical degree or continuous learning is highly desired
No visa sponsorship is available for this position.
Meet Some of OneWeb's Employees
Fleet Management Engineer
Vikram manages the Launch and Early Operations Team and space to ground interface for OneWeb. He ensures perfect positioning of satellites during launch in order to provide optimal service to end users.
Back to top