Fleet Operations Mission Director (UK)
At OneWeb, we’re on a mission to provide affordable, high-speed Internet access for the world’s unconnected and to achieve the #1 target of the World Society of Information – to create a community access point at every school in the world. We realize this isn’t easy, but we have designed a combination of satellites and ground systems that we know can achieve this, and we believe it is too important not to do. Eliminating extreme poverty, enabling relief for communities during emergencies or disasters, providing health care, clean water and education, starting a business, individual empowerment and civic transparency are all important goals and Internet access is a foundation for solving these global issues.
OneWeb is a technology and infrastructure provider. Our infrastructure enables Mobile carriers, ISP’s and governments, to provide Internet Access to their local and remote populations. Our team’s talent spans fields from semiconductor design, telecom core network and small cell production and deployment, to hyper local rural regulatory and educational challenges. We are developing leading edge technology to solve some of the world’s largest problems – and having a lot of fun doing it!
If building the infrastructure to connect 2 million schools is something you would like to make happen, then joining OneWeb may be a great personal and career move. We can provide an intellectually challenging workplace and fast growing opportunity with a clear purpose. Come join the team that is making affordable communication ubiquitous on a global scale.
The Fleet Operations UK Satellite Operations Center (UKSOC) Mission Director (MD) reports to the UKSOC Manager and is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the OneWeb fleet of satellites. The MD has the authority to execute any and all actions necessary to maintain payload service, health of the satellites, and overall smooth operations in the OneWeb Satellite Operations Center (SOC). The MD is also the orchestrator, coordinator and final authority to operations elements in the Fleet Management Segment including the Command and Control, Flight Dynamics, Mission Planning, Mission Management, Engineering and Analytics, Infrastructure, and Earth Station Control elements. The MD ensures all internal and external interfaces operate nominally. The MD manages the SOC operations team, ensures adequate operator and support personnel coverage, makes notifications per procedures and leads all contingency or emergency actions necessary.
- Lead and manage all planned operations activities within the SOC real time operations
- Coordinate actions and activities with Fleet Operations Management team
- Leads and manages nominal operations of all elements and interfaces
- Leads contingency and emergency activities including notifications, chairs anomaly response meetings and ensures complete plans to recover are drafted and executed
- Prepares shift handover briefings and ensures proper shift handovers are completed between all positions prior to accepting control of the fleet
Required Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate will have experience in:
- Leading large teams of realtime operations personnel and engineers
- Real-time flight operations console expertise
- Operations software use, configuration and troubleshooting
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, take ownership of all aspects of job and take initiative
- Excellent oral and written skills and communication / briefing skills is essential.
- A minimum of 10 years of aerospace industry or equivalent experience required with 15 years preferred.
- Direct experience in command and control system configuration and operation, Launch and Early Obit Operations, sustaining Satellite Operations, and Flight Dynamics is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to work to tight deadlines in high stress environments
- Multi-satellite LEO constellation operations experience is preferred.
*Must have the right to work in the EEA (European Economic Area)
Meet Some of OneWeb's Employees
Fleet Management Engineer
Vikram manages the Launch and Early Operations Team and space to ground interface for OneWeb. He ensures perfect positioning of satellites during launch in order to provide optimal service to end users.
Back to top