US Business Development Manager
Unique professional with a passion for relationship management and 5-10+ years of work experience.
Minimum 2.5 years commitment, full-time job
One Acre Fund is looking for an exceptional individual based in Chicago to join our Business Development team. This role will independently build and steward a pipeline of individual and institutional donors, both domestically and globally. We are seeking someone with excellent external communication skills. The candidate should be a highly organized team player, ready to work with our writing, finance, and compliance teams to manage new and existing grants. Responsibilities will include:
- New lead development and relationship-building. Interact with some of the most thoughtful and forward-looking funders in the international development arena to grow One Acre Fund’s funding.
- Strategy and partnerships. Increasingly, our funding arrangements are strategic partnerships with the world’s major institutional funders, crafted around objectives that align with One Acre Fund’s long-term strategy. The US Manager will help craft the strategy around these funding agreements. For example, our grant from the Gates Foundation aims to create a long-term platform for agricultural research and innovations that can scale to impact hundreds of thousands of smallholder farmers.
- Operationalizing new funding agreements. As our important deals move into implementation, the US Manager will be instrumental in forming the initial strategy around forming joint objectives, hiring new staff, and identifying the work streams to support funding arrangements.
- Team development. Over time, the US Manager will be responsible for selecting, mentoring, and developing a team of professionals under her/his management. We are looking for a humble leader who can help grow our business development team.
- Spokesperson for our farmers. One Acre Fund is increasingly contributing to global discussions around agricultural development, and the US Manager will serve as a spokesperson for the organization, attending and presenting at events like the Sankalp Forum and SoCap.
This is a fund development role. However, because the US Manager will play a role in strategy, partnerships, and operating a growing team, we do not necessarily need someone with prior fundraising experience. Instead, we are looking for someone with a sharp business mind primarily (e.g., former management consultant or similar professional), together with strong interpersonal skills and an abiding commitment to our values of humbly serving farmers.
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions. This results in fast career growth for our staff.
We are seeking an exceptional professional with 5-10+ years of work experience and a demonstrated passion for international development. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Speaks the language of business. We are not necessarily seeking a traditional fundraiser, as this is not a traditional fundraising role. Our donors are looking for someone with business fluency (communicates in financial sustainability, return on investment, impact per donor dollar, etc.).
- Management consulting or similar professional services experience preferred.
- Graduate degree in a relevant field preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience in international development or the social sector more broadly.
- Values fit. We put a high premium on values. We want someone who has a true service orientation and humility – someone that puts our farmers before themselves.
- People-orientation. We do not need an extreme extrovert, but we are seeking someone who wants to spend their day building relationships with people by pursuing referrals, attending conferences and networking events, etc.
- Team-builder. We are looking for someone who has experience in, and passion for, helping to grow and develop a team of direct reports.
- Willingness to travel. This role will have approximately 60-90 nights per year of travel, half or more international. The travel commitment may diminish as we hire suitable staff in other continents, and dates of travel are highly flexible.
- Language: English required.
Preferred Start Date
Commensurate with experience.
Health insurance in our group plan, 401k match, and 529 education fund matching contributions.
Sponsor International Candidates
Back to top