Uganda Project Specialist
Kamuli & Jinja districts, Uganda
Minimum two year's commitment, full-time job.
As a rapidly growing organization, we are looking to attract Uganda’s top talent. We invest heavily in careers – we want to develop our next group of country directors, R&D directors, and partnership leaders. Depending on skill set (Operations, Agriculture Research, Finance, Logistics or M&E) and our needs, we will place Project Specialists in appropriate departments under the mentorship of a high-performing Associate or Manager. Project Specialists will take on 2-3 critical projects in their first year. Some examples include:
- Field Operations/Expansion Support: A Project Specialist may begin their tenure in Field Operations providing mentorship to our Field Director and Field Manager and developing trainings that are delivered to our field staff and farmers. A Project Specialist may also be asked to scout new districts or parishes and launch a demo program for farmers unfamiliar with One Acre Fund
- Impact Innovation: A Project Specialist may work with our Impact team to develop new ways of creating impact for our farmers. For example, a PS could run trials on a new Ag products such as bananas, trees, coffee or legumes or non-ag products such as cookstoves, strategic cash loans (school fee loans, health loans) or water filters. A PS may also work on developing a Market Access Program to increase the value farmers receive from their agricultural products.
- Finance & Operations: A Project Specialist with a background or interest in Finance & Operations may work with our HQ staff on improving & managing our finance, procurement, logistics or HR teams. A PS will likely take on wide ranging department responsibilities to ensure OAF Uganda’s operations run smoothly and are on track for continuous growth
- Monitoring & Evaluation: A Project Specialist w/a strong background in M&E may join/lead our M&E department by managing a team of enumerators to run surveys assessing our impact and other critical indicators.
- Note: For candidates, interested in M&E positions, we expect at least 2 years of data collection experience along with an understanding of Excel, STATA or other data analysis packages.
Depending on her/his performance, a Project Specialist may advance to the position of department director or join the acceleration team. These options & growth trajectory will be discussed with you regularly by your manager.
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager and a global support team will commit significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions.
We are seeking exceptional professionals with 2 to 5 years of work experience, and a demonstrated long-term passion for development work. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Work Experience: Candidates should have 2-5 years of strong work experiences, including project management, team management, or entrepreneurial experiences. Some examples of strong work experiences include: starting/managing a business or a new initiative, launching new products for a company, organizing a conference, managing a department etc.
- Leadership: We are looking for candidates with demonstrated leadership experience at work, or outside of work. Examples of demonstrated leadership experience include managing a team or initiating a new project.
- Education: Strong undergraduate background at top East African university or international university. If you are interested in specific roles (such as Finance or M&E), please highlight relevant educational background to succeed in those positions.
- Communication: Excellent written and oral communication.
- Humility. We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service to join our growing family of leaders. This is absolutely critical for any individual wishing to join the Uganda team.
- Rural Fit. A willingness to commit to living in Jinja w/travel throughout Uganda for at least two years.
- Other Skills: Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Intermediate or better typing speed.
- Language: English required. Knowledge of Luganda, Lusoga or other Ugandan languages strongly preferred.
Preferred Start Date
We offer a modest starting salary that affords a high quality of life in our areas of operation. This is a career-track role with performance-based raises and the ability to expand responsibilities over time.
Note: We will not be able to sponsor a visa for this position.
Back to top