Training and Development Director
We are seeking one exceptional professional(s) with at least 3 year(s) of work experience and ideally a demonstrated passion for international development.
Minimum two year's commitment, full-time job.
One Acre Fund (known as TUBURA in Rwanda) is an NGO in Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Malawi, Uganda and Burundi that is innovating a new way of helping farm families to achieve their full potential. Instead of giving handouts, One Acre invests in farmers to generate a permanent gain in farm income. We provide farmers with a "market bundle" that includes education, finance, seed and fertilizer, and market access. Our program is proven impactful every year, we weigh thousands of harvests and measure more than $100 of impact per client.
One Acre Fund currently employs 2,000 full-time local staff and we’re projected to triple in size in three more years. As we grow, it becomes necessary to centralize and systematize local employee development across the program. In Rwanda, all local staff development will fall under the umbrella of “TUBURA University,” (TU) which aims to be the best-in-class corporate University in East Africa. The Training and Development Director will play a crucial role in the development of TU strategy and operations.
TUBURA University is mandated to improve employees’ leadership skills, soft skills and professionalism through targeted and structured training. Currently we have a wide range of internally created courses and a solid team which supports in offering the courses to our staff. We are currently seeking a skilled Project Specialist whose role will be among others, to contribute to overarching strategy for TU, work with TUBURA leadership to identify course modules according to staff levels and needs of all departments, manage TU team, ensure that TU is a means of creating an organization-wide culture of learning, develop and test creative ways of learning outside the classroom that allow for quality training at scale, and in all regions, coordinate with external facilitators or speakers to come to TUBURA.
- Contribute to overarching strategy for TU
- Work with TUBURA leadership to identify course modules according to staff levels and needs of all departments
- Manage TU team
- Ensure that TU is a means of creating an organization-wide culture of learning
- Oversee creation of a TU library with learning tools and resources for staff at all levels, and that archives all TU courses for future use
- Develop and test creative ways of learning outside the classroom that allow for quality training at scale, and in all regions
- Coordinate with external facilitators or speakers to come to TUBURA
- Oversee training team and coordinate staff trainers to ensure consistent, high-quality instruction against a defined rubric.
- Develop a system for tracking and analysis of training, learning, and engagement
- Roll out new teaching methods to improve training and learning quality, and continuously improve and refine TU training methodology
- Help develop TU KPI’s, and oversee consistent monitoring and reporting of goals
- Develop guidelines and processes to ensure smooth development and delivery of excellent training
- Anticipate and develop new process and systems as necessitated by the growth of the TU program
- Train TU trainers and hold monthly development sessions to improve their skills as trainers and professionals
- Teach training of trainers courses to staff facilitators
- Teach high-level TU courses
- Act as a training coach or mentor to all trainers and facilitators at TUBURA
- Research best practices in training and adult learning, and incorporate them into TU
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentor-ship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions. This results in fast career growth for our staff.
We are seeking one exceptional professional(s) with at least 3 year(s) of work experience and ideally a demonstrated passion for international development. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Strong work experiences in adult education and curriculum development
- Leadership experience at work, or outside of work
- Top-performing academic background (include GPA on your resume)
- Humility: We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service to join our growing family of leaders.
- Language: English required
Preferred Start Date
1st February 2017
Commensurate with experience or starts modest. However, this is a career-track role with fast raises for performance, paying a meaningful salary for long-term placement in developing nations.
Health insurance, career development opportunity through weekly check-ins and six moth performance and development reviews
Back to top