Strategy and Research Analyst/Specialist
You may also be interested in our Analyst to the Executive Director role.
Exceptional professionals with quality work experience conducting quantitative analysis and research, managing client relationships, and advising on organizational strategy.
Nairobi (multiple) and Kampala (one)
Minimum 2 years commitment, full time job. Desire to build a long-term career with One Acre Fund preferred.
We are looking for strategic problem-solvers to join our Internal Consulting Team (ICT). ICT is a global function that serves all country teams and crosscutting functions. Our role at One Acre Fund is to support the organization during the critical moments that generate the biggest impact for farmers. A Strategy & Research Analyst/Specialist will take on projects from various teams, conducting research and analysis that answers key questions those teams are having.
A sample of recent ICT projects include:
- Scanning opportunities to increase seed adoption in Sub-Saharan Africa – ICT gathered and analyzed relevant data to identify: (1) countries with large addressable markets of farmers who are currently not using improved seed; and (2) country-specific hypotheses for how to increase adoption, e.g. through increasing awareness, retail points, usage training, and more
- Improving the scalability of our Customer Engagement function – to help our Customer Engagement team better receive and manage requests from One Acre Fund farmers, ICT evaluated the universe of issue ticketing and call center platforms to recommend technology solutions that best met our needs.
- Backstopping our Finance team during a critical transition – ICT embedded an Analyst within our Finance team in Rwanda for six weeks as they restructured major processes to allow for great scalability and efficiency across our global operations.
- Preparing memos and presentations for One Acre Fund’s senior-most leadership when they participate in conversations with key stakeholders in the international development and social enterprise spaces. For one recent example, see this 2016 TED Talk.
We are hiring for two different levels:
- Analysts take full ownership of projects, from sketching deliverables through execution and follow-up. They manage anywhere from 2-5 projects at any given time, are typically responsible for at least one other ICT-specific initiative, and are expected to be able to tackle any type of project – from quantitative modeling to deep primary research – with a relentless focus on solving the problem at hand.
- Specialists grow into Analysts. They contribute to anywhere from 1-3 projects at any given time, gradually owning more parts and increasingly complex projects. Simultaneously, Specialists focus on building their skills through a mix of formal classroom training, one-on-one mentorship with their manager and others, and stretch project assignments.
Career Growth and Development
A core value at One Acre Fund is continual growth. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through daily pull-ups as needed, weekly mentorship sessions, and quarterly management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one coffee chats, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft career paths that each person can be passionate about. Because of One Acre Fund’s rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions. This results in fast career growth for our high-performing staff.
We are looking for truly extraordinary professionals who will help take our organization to the next levels of impact and scale. ** This is a competitive posting for a career–track role. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Strong work experiences: we are targeting former consultants (or people with a similar skillset). Ultimately, we look for the ability to take a complex problem, identify the “critical path” to an actionable solution, and structure their work into manageable milestones. We also look for leadership experiences, at or outside of work, particularly in roles that demonstrate relationship management and driving results.
- Professional/technical skills:
- Analysts are expected to have advanced proficiency in both Excel and PowerPoint. Experience with other professional programs (e.g. R, STATA, Access) is a plus.
- Specialists are expected to have some familiarity with both Excel and PowerPoint. More importantly, however, we are looking for passionate, humble individuals with a deep thirst to learn and sharpen their strategic research and analysis skills.
- Outstanding responsiveness to feedback: we firmly believe that ability to act on both reinforcing and redirecting feedback is the fastest way to grow. As a team, we subscribe to the “radical candor" school of thought in growing through feedback. Individuals with a growth mindset will thrive in our team culture.
- Humility: in everything One Acre Fund does, we put farmers first. In ICT, we do this by approaching our work and individual professional growth with humility, efficiency, and compassion.
- A willingness to commit to living in East Africa for at least two years: this is a long-term, career–track role. The ideal candidate will have had experience working in an emerging market, although this is not required.
- Language: English required; working proficiency French is a bonus.
Preferred Start Date
Starts modest. However, this is a career-track role with fast raises for performance, paying a meaningful salary for long-term placement.
Health insurance, immunizations, flight, room and board.
Sponsor International Candidates
East African applicants strongly encouraged to apply.
Back to top