Strategic Purchasing and Quality Team Lead
Exceptional professional with 2-5+ years of work experience with strong research and analysis skills and interest in agricultural supply chains and commodity markets.
Kakamega, Kenya with regular travel to Nairobi and Tanzania
Minimum 2 years commitment, full-time job.
One Acre Fund purchases over $4 million per year in goods over 40,000+ transactions on behalf of 400,000 smallholder farmers. We are seeking two strong team leads to manage what is currently a disparate group of over 16 staff spread across 4 countries of operation to architect standardized processes, implement with 100% sustained quality improvements, and drive 5% of purchasing cost out of the system.
These two leads will coordinate across all teams at One Acre Fund to maintain the consistent flow of purchasing information. They will work closely together to build, develop, and lead these purchasing teams in order to eliminate waste, develop standardized quality control metrics, and ultimately deliver a world-class purchasing department at the feet of our 400,000 farmers across rural East Africa.
Responsibilities of the Purchasing Lead will include:
- Team Management & Leadership Development
- Mentoring strong procurement directors in each country to build leadership and team management skills
- Coaching local purchasing teams to identify high quality, high level suppliers and negotiate for best pricing and terms
- Working with multi-national staff and suppliers
- Identifying strong local talent pools for recruiting high quality procurement staff
- Defined Business Processes
- Setting up procurement mechanisms and systems by incorporating best practices from other organizations and identifying strong, long-term supplier relationships
- Mapping out current procurement practices to identify and implement cost- and time-saving improvements
- Implementing standardized practices across all country procurement teams to improve efficiency, effectiveness, and customer service
- Define Measurable Quality Metrics
- Ensuring consistent, predictable quality by building strong Quality Assurance processes
- Preventing fraud and corruption challenges along the procurement value chain
- Coordinating across teams to evaluate Quality Assurance measures and implement best practices
- Building Outstanding Communication Channels
- Becoming familiar with One Acre Fund teams and structures to ensure the local procurement team is best supporting their internal clients
- Working closely with Logistics teams to minimize delivered costs
- Working closely with other internal teams to reduce overall spend
- Improving overall procurement process transparency
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions. This results in fast career growth for our staff.
We are seeking exceptional professionals with experience in and a passion for procurement and supply chain. Experience in an entrepreneurial environment is a plus.
Candidates that meet the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Work experience in a demanding professional environment, preferably in positions where frequent cross-department communication was required
- Some experience in procurement/supply chains strongly preferred
- Creativity and strong problem solving skills. You don’t take no for an answer and constantly look for alternative solutions to problems.
- A passion for world class customer service
- Outstanding communication skills with suppliers, reports, peers and management
- Experience working internationally preferred
- Leadership experience at work or outside of work.
- Ability to work and make decisions independently
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Top-performing academic background
- Language: English required, French and Swahili preferred
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible.
Starts modest. However, this is a career-track role with fast raises for performance, paying a meaningful salary for long-term placement in developing nations.
Health insurance, immunizations, flight, room and board.
Sponsor International Candidates
East Africans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Back to top