Exceptional professional with 2+ years of experience, solid programming skills, and a knowledge of database concepts to improve our existing technical systems.
Minimum 2-year commitment, full-time job.
One Acre Fund relies on a home-grown Client Management Information System to help us manage our field program information. As we grow our organization, we need to continually improve this system and facilitate its integration with third party tools. Currently, our Client Management Information System handles the enrollment of 180,000-300,000 smallholder farmers spread over multiple countries, records farm supply orders, manages the delivery of seed, fertilizer, and solar lights to clients, tracks millions of payment transactions, and creates a wide variety of business intelligence reports.
Our database uses a distributed client/server model where field offices can perform data entry and run reports offline while syncing with a central server as needed (e.g., during times of poor internet connectivity). On the backend, the technologies used are SQL server 2014 with merge replication to field offices, while on the front end we use MVC.Net, Breeze.js, and Angular.js. As we are growing, we are looking to:
- Improve our existing tools to capture a wide variety of program configurations per country and provide functionality for a multitude of field product and process innovations.
- Provide central management and reporting tools while maintaining a focus on field usability.
- Build out efficient bulk data entry functionality with a heavy focus on data quality control, as well as field-facing mobile and tablet data entry, and reporting where appropriate.
The Developer will be based in Western Kenya. S/he will be responsible for the following:
- Producing a field-facing, mission-critical Program Management System.
- Participating in the continued development of our mission-critical custom database, which impacts every aspect of the organization’s operations.
- Developing features allowing for flexibility in the way individual countries run their operations, while still focusing on reusability across countries.
- Maintaining a long-term perspective when faced with urgent operational demands.
- Working together with our small team of developers.
- Maintaining coding standards and participating in peer code reviews.
- Technology experimentation: Experimenting with a variety of technologies to improve operations. Investigating appropriate solutions for deploying upgrades, database scaling, and interacting with 3rd party software providers.
- Operational insight: Becoming familiar with every aspect of our field operations and identifying areas for improvement in the tools we develop to support the field.
- Other tasks: We are a young organization that is growing rapidly, which means all staffers pitch in to ensure we are providing the very best support and services to both our team and clients.
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions. This results in fast career growth for our staff.
We are seeking exceptional professionals with 2+ years of work experience. Candidates fitting the following profile are strongly encouraged to apply:
- 2+ years of work or internship experience in a professional environment.
- Solid programming skills. C#/MVC.Net/Breeze.js/Angular.js preferable, but not required
- Knowledge of database concepts and SQL/Linq.
- Very strong self-manager. After an initial six-month period of heavy mentorship, supervision will consist of one weekly check-in. Accordingly, we need someone who is very well-organized and can manage their work independently.
- Willingness to commit to the position for at least two years
- Experience living in a developing country is desired, but not a requirement.
- Humility. We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong technical skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service.
- Language: English required, French is a plus.
Preferred Start Date
Starts modest. However, this is a career-track role with fast raises for performance, paying a meaningful salary for long-term placement in developing nations.
Health insurance, immunizations, flight, room and board.
Sponsor International Candidates
East Africans Encouraged to Apply
Back to top