Exceptional professionals with a demonstrated passion for rural development and policy change. East African candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Minimum two year's commitment, full-time job.
One Acre Fund’s Government Relations department has built close ties with local and national governments to gain support for our operations and accelerate our growth. Building on these relationships, the Government Relations team added a policy unit to build opportunities to share our program perspectives with government entities to improve the livelihoods of all smallholder farmers. We believe that powerful opportunities exist to partner with the government to shape and implement effective policy, coordinated with our significant field presence.
This position will report to the Expansion & Policy Manager.
We are seeking a Policy Officer for our Nairobi-based team. The position will have the following responsibilities:
- Research/Writing – 60%
- Research and analyze policy issues at national and regional levels affecting the agricultural sector (East and Southern Africa).
- Support country policy initiatives including research, strategy development, and monitoring & evaluation.
- Write sophisticated and quantitative-based policy briefs (white papers, blogs, and memos).
- Build expertise on a sub-set of regional agricultural policy issues (ex: subsidy programs, extension, market access, regional economic trade, etc.).
- Coordination with other teams – 10%
- Coordinate between departments (such as Communications, and Legal/Finance) around publications and internal memos.
- Interpret and explain policies and laws applicable to One Acre Fund field operations when needed.
- Produce publications for media, conferences, and One Acre Fund stakeholders.
- Knowledge management – 30%
- Provide departmental support to the Government Relations and Policy team, including maintaining shared resources (Google Drive, Salesforce, Department M&E, intranet).
- Coordinate and plan bi-annual department retreat logistics and agenda planning
- Coordinate monthly department call and newsletter.
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions. This results in fast career growth for our staff.
This position is eligible to join our Leadership Development Course, a dedicated professional development course aiming to accelerate career growth and build management skills over a 12-18 month period.
We are seeking Kenyan professionals with 2-4+ year(s) of work experience and ideally a demonstrated passion for rural development and policy change. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- 2-4 years of relevant work experience. We are looking for a former policy professional, economist, lawyer, or researcher.
- An excellent writer- someone who is able to pare down policy issues into actionable and succinct analysis
- A proven understanding of the political, social, and economic situation in East Africa.
- Passion for agriculture and rural development.
- Stellar organizational skills and a dedication to building systems and communications platforms.
- Leadership experience at work, or outside of work.
- Top-performing academic background
- We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service to join our growing family of leaders.
- Excellent written and oral communication. Able to summarize and synthesize information. Emails, meetings, and reports will all be a key component of this role.
- Humility: We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service to join our growing family of leaders.
- Flexibility: You should be comfortable with ambiguity and quickly learning new skills and subjects.
- Growth: You should be open to feedback, willing to admit mistakes.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; and Google Docs.
- Intermediate or better typing speed.
- English and Swahili required.
Preferred Start Date
Starts modest. However, this is a career-track role with raises for performance.
Note: We will not be able to sponsor a visa for this position.
Back to top