Microfinance Partnerships Analyst/Manager
Rwanda (Kigali), US (D.C. or NYC), or UK
Minimum 2-year commitment, full-time job.
Although most of the world’s poorest people are farmers, the microfinance sector is still heavily focused on the urban and per-urban poor. Only 3% of the current demand for smallholder finance is being met, leaving a $450 billion gap. We are challenging ourselves to think big and to invest resources into supporting an overall increase in the quality and availability of financial services for smallholder farmers.
As the Microfinance Partnerships Analyst/Manager, you will work within a small team of four full-time staff and report to the Microfinance Partnerships Director. You will support One Acre Fund’s efforts to advocate and influence the microfinance sector on behalf of smallholder farmers, to improve the overall quality, impact, and availability of smallholder finance products.
Key Microfinance Partnership Team recent accomplishments include:
- Spearheading the formation of Propagate – a coalition of six leading microfinance practitioners working together to share best practices and maximize impact for smallholder farmers.
- Establishing an exciting new partnership with Mix to create a smallholder finance product directory on the Mix Market website.
- Establishing pilot operational partnerships in Tanzania and Ethiopia to jointly deliver financial services to smallholders with other MFIs.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Project lead on One Acre Fund’s partnership with Mix
- Project management of an exciting partnership with Mix Market to create a product directory and the #1 global resource for smallholder finance product research
- Manage day to day working relationship with project partners including Mix and RAF Learning Lab
- Conduct primary and secondary research on smallholder finance products, including carrying out field visits to relevant MFIs
- Collaborate with Mix on product development and user-centered design
- Support overall strategy development, marketing, and communications
Project lead & group secretariat for Propagate Coalition
- Act as group secretary for Propagate, supporting in-person meetings and calls, implementing research agenda and other key projects
- Relationship management with Propagate members
- Project lead on an exciting debt facility project for Propagate members
Field visit support for microfinance partnerships
- Support the identification and assessment of potential ‘operational partner’ MFIs through desk research and field visits (previous visits have included MFIs in India, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Ghana, Burkina Faso, Zambia, Kenya, Tanzania, Philippines, Madagascar and more)
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager and a global support team will commit significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions.
We are seeking an exceptional professional with 2-4+ years of work experience, ideally including work in the financial inclusion sector and with project management. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Excellent communications, relationship building and presentation skills are a must.
- Past microfinance/financial access/agriculture/development finance, leadership and operational experience highly desirable. Strong project management skills and ability to initiate and lead new projects independently.
- Desire to travel extensively and independently within Africa and other international destinations up to 20% of the time.
- Experience working in the developing world.
- Accomplished researcher and writer. Policy and communications experience helpful, but not required.
- Top–performing undergraduate background.
- A deep and genuine commitment to serving the poor.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and ability to work independently as part of a remote team.
- Enjoys travelling independently and seeing new places
- A passion for One Acre Fund's program.
- A sense of humor.
- Humility: We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service to join our growing family of leaders.
- Language: English required, French desirable.
Preferred Start Date
We offer a modest starting salary that affords a high quality of life in our areas of operation. This is a career-track role with performance-based raises and the ability to expand responsibilities over time.
Health insurance, immunizations, flight, room and board.
Sponsor International Candidates
Yes (if located in Kigali)
East Africans Encouraged to Apply
Back to top