Microfinance Partnerships Analyst/Manager
Exceptional professional with 2-4+ years of project management and financial inclusion experience to help grow our microfinance partners division.
East African City (Nairobi or Kigali preferred)
Minimum 2-year commitment, full-time job.
Although most of the world’s poorest people are farmers, the microfinance sector is still heavily focused on the urban and per-urban poor. Only 3% of the current demand for smallholder finance is being met, leaving a $150 billion gap. We are challenging ourselves to think big and to invest resources into supporting an overall increase in the quality and availability of financial services for smallholder farmers.
As the Microfinance Partnerships Analyst/Manager, you will work within a small team of four full-time staff and report to the Microfinance Partnerships Manager. You will support One Acre Fund’s efforts to advocate and influence the microfinance sector on behalf of smallholder farmers; to build a stronger community of practice among MFIs with smallholder finance products; and to develop operational partnerships with MFIs to increase the availability and quality of smallholder finance services.
Key Microfinance Partnership Team recent accomplishments include:
- Spearheading the formation of Propagate – a coalition of six leading microfinance practitioners working together to share best practices and maximize impact for smallholder farmers.
- Identifying and visiting over 25 financial providers in more than 15 countries offering the largest and most innovative examples of smallholder finance services around the globe.
- Creating a knowledge sharing resource offering practical, operational data to catalyze growth and investment in smallholder finance products within the microfinance sector.
- Establishing pilot operational partnerships to jointly deliver financial services to smallholders with other financial providers.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Conduct primary and secondary research in the smallholder finance sector, including field visits to relevant MFIs and other FSPs, with the objective of scouting learning and partnership opportunities for One Acre Fund.
- Support the work of the Microfinance Partnerships Manager to forge operational partnerships with microfinance organizations.
- Support/lead the management of consulting and operating partnerships with MFIs and other relevant organizations, including managing the delivery of field operations where relevant.
- Support the activities of a coalition of leading microfinance practitioners, in collaboration with the Microfinance Partnerships Manager.
- Attend/speak at industry events where appropriate.
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions. This results in fast career growth for our staff.
We are seeking an exceptional professional with 2-4+ years of work experience, ideally including work in the financial inclusion sector and with project management. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Past microfinance/financial access/agriculture, leadership and operational experience highly desirable.Strong project management skills and ability to initiate and lead new projects independently.
- Excellent communications, relationship building and presentation skills.
- Desire to travel extensively and independently within Africa and other international destinations 30-40% of the time.
- Experience working in the developing world.
- Accomplished researcher and writer. Policy and communications experience helpful, but not required.
- Top–performing undergraduate background (please include GPA and test scores on your resume).
- A deep and genuine commitment to serving the poor.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and ability to work independently in challenging environments.
- A passion for One Acre Fund's program.
- A sense of humor.
- Humility: We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service to join our growing family of leaders.
- Language: English required, French desirable.
Preferred Start Date
Starts modest. However, this is a career-track role with fast raises for performance, paying a meaningful salary for long-term placement in developing nations.
Health insurance, immunizations, flight, room and board.
Sponsor International Candidates
East Africans Encouraged to Apply
Back to top