M&E Project Specialist
Exceptional professional with 2 to 4 years of work experience, and a demonstrated long-term passion for development work. East African candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Minimum two year's commitment, full-time job.
As a rapidly growing organization, we are constantly innovating and improving our internal operational processes. The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Project Specialist will be responsible for monitoring and evaluation initiatives, programs and projects, both new and established and provide accountability and ensuring efficiency of our core program.
The M&E Project Specialist will establish, modify and monitor key performance indicators to report and record physical progress for specific M&E programs and projects. The M&E Project Specialist will also create, run, and analyze data collection projects for program departments. This role includes participation in a leadership development program and has the potential to grow into an M&E Program Associate position with good performance. A few example projects are listed below:
- Management of the M&E team: Lead team of Field Supervisors to ensure timely and accurate completion of M&E KPIs while maintaining data quality and excellent research standards.
- Lead the development of talent in M&E team.
- Deliver trainings, meetings, review sessions, and guided group practice sessions.
- Will be in charge of updating, rolling out quality control tools and assignments (as per the department’s Performance Management system)
- Ensure team has all necessary materials for their assignment.
- Monitor team KPI data to ensure project is on track and right course when needed.
- Visit field at least once a week to ensure proper survey completion, respectful rapport with clients, and timely completion of survey objectives.
- Maintain close contact with Field Supervisors to update members on key information like meeting details or assignment changes.
- Assist in mentoring Field Supervisors with professional guidance in achieving assignment objectives.
- Clearly and proactively communicate challenges to manager.
- Professional conduct when interacting with the team and other departments.
- Research Design:
- Design survey and analysis plans for research.
- Training and data collection though qualitative and quantitative methods.
- Calculate sample sizes that are representative of the population while taking into account the needs of the program and capacity of the team.
- Data Quality:
- Identify strengths and weakness in data collection and management and suggest improvements.
- Spot-check Field Supervisor back-check process to ensure high quality data and flag any signs of falsification or fraud.
- Lead general survey corrections and field follow up.
- Follow analysis plan to clearly determine outcomes of research questions.
- Understanding when and how to use statistics to arrive at an answer.
- Clearly communicate findings in report format.
- Report to manager to receive updated work assignments, report on required KPIs, discuss performance, and discuss other general work issues.
- Contribute to content development of all aspects of M&E Field Team operations including training development, survey design and results presentations.
- System Development: Lead M&E system and process development, create a framework and procedures for M&E project activities.
- Other: Additional tasks as requested by manager
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests heavily in building management and leadership skills. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. You will have access to regular and ongoing professional development opportunities aimed at building the soft and hard skills required for quick rapid professional growth. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new roles opening up and opportunities in many functions. This results in fast career growth for our staff.
We are seeking exceptional professional with 2 to 4 years of work experience, and a demonstrated long-term passion for development work. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Work Experience: Candidates should have 2 years minimum of strong practical work experiences in research and data collection in a rural setting - including project management and team management.
- Strong qualitative and statistics background. Experience with running impact assessments is preferred.
- Preferred to have some practical experience using tablets in field data collection.
- Understanding of best practices in experimental design concepts, such as control group selection and randomization.
- Fluency in Microsoft Excel, specifically:
- Ability to design basic data-entry spreadsheets in “database format” (observations horizontally across, 1 variable per column) with useful data validation
- Ability to extract summary statistics using both Pivot Tables and Excel formulae.
- Conduct analysis using statistics, logic, and validation formulas.
- Leadership: Proven ability to teach/mentor others. We are looking for candidates with demonstrated leadership experience at work, or outside of work. Examples of demonstrated leadership experience include managing a team or initiating a new project.
- Education: Graduate of a 4-year University (mandatory). Graduate degree in sciences (strongly preferred).
- Communication: Excellent and professional written and oral communication. Excellent ability to communicate in logical, clear, and relevant manner. Able to identify and summarize important information. Proactive at identifying problems and proposing and implementing actionable and effective solutions.
- . We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service to join our growing family of leaders.
- . A willingness to commit to living in Jinja, Uganda for at least two years.
- . Dedication to honesty in regards to use of funds both in oneself and among subordinates.
- Open to feedback, willing to admit mistakes
- Comfort & sensitivity working in a multicultural environment that spans 5 continents and many, many countries.
- Language: English required. Knowledge of Luganda, Lusoga or other Ugandan languages strongly preferred.
Preferred Start Date
Starts modest. However, this is a career-track role with raises for performance.
Health insurance, airtime, transport stipend, and re-location bonus.
Note: We will not be able to sponsor a visa for this position.
Back to top