An exceptional professional with experience in manufacturing and design and a passion for international development. East African candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Minimum two year's commitment, full-time job.
One Acre Fund is working in collaboration with the Ethiopian government to promote adoption of best agricultural practices to significantly increase yields for farm families and to create, manufacture and distribute impactful products for rural families. The Manufacturing Specialist is an exciting opportunity for a committed, energetic and creative individual to contribute to creating large-scale impact through the design and management of new products and manufacturing processes that will boost adoption of agricultural practices and increase yields for smallholder farmers in Ethiopia.
The Manufacturing Specialist will manage the manufacturing of teff row planters and similar technologies while supporting design projects that will impact tens of thousands of farmers across Ethiopia.
User Insight Expert: From focus groups, to in-depth farmer interviews, to observing farmers, you are committed to using a variety of methods and tools in order to gather insights from the field to design new, innovative agricultural tools and conduct impact assessment of new tools.
Manufacturing Manager: Manage a factory team of 10+ people, implement process improvement tools (such as Lean Engineering or Six Sigma), manage quality control and manage the manufacturing of a new, exciting product for Ethiopian teff farmers!
Product Design: You will lead new product development including ideation, rapid prototyping and trial creation.
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests heavily in building management and leadership skills. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. The Manufacturing Specialist will have access to regular and ongoing professional development opportunities aimed at building the soft and hard skills required for quick rapid professional growth. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new roles opening up and opportunities in many functions. This results in fast career growth for our staff.
We are looking for candidates with the following qualifications:
- University degree
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Amharic
- 5+ years of work experience, including some management responsibilities
- Management or leadership experience - preferably in a manufacturing setting
- Experience operating common workshop and prototyping machinery (CNC, 3D printers, mills, etc.)
- Experience implementing process improvement
- We are looking for passionate professionals who combine leadership skills with good humor, patience and a humble approach to service.
- Strong attention to detail
- A creative problem solver and an eagerness to share new ideas
- Flexible and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment while being part of an awesome team
- Experience in designing and conducting qualitative interviews and surveys
- Experience with Lean Engineering and/or Six Sigma
- Experience with Computer Aided Design
- Solid understanding and experience in the practical application of human centered design
- Knowledge of other local languages an asset
Preferred Start Date
Starts modest. However, this is a career-track role with raises for performance.
Housing, transportation, and airtime allowance.
Note: We will not be able to sponsor a visa for this position.
Back to top