Malawi Project Specialist
Minimum two years commitment, full time job
As a rapidly growing organization, we are constantly innovating and improving our internal operational processes. Project Specialists and Program Associates will play a key role in running multiple high-level projects to drive this innovation and process improvement. Project Specialists and Program Associates in Malawi will generally be selected for one of the following focus areas: Field Operations, Innovations, Monitoring & Evaluation, or Finance.
Staff will own portions of projects, including managing components of field trials or managing a team running field activities. This role has the potential to grow into Department Head, Technical Expert, Program Associate or Program Manager positions with good performance. A few example projects are listed below:
- Field Operations
- Expansion: Oversee our input loan program growth into other districts in the Southern Region and beyond by experimenting with various marketing and scaling techniques.
- Training: Design and implement evaluation tools for a range of training programs across our operation.
- Customer Engagement: Designing and implementing an SMS-based communication channel to both seek feedback from and disseminate information to our customers.
- New Product: Design several configurations of a crop or non-agricultural product and farmer training, test it with a few hundred farmers, and then scale up the most promising product
- Monitoring & Evaluation
- Measure Impact: Analyze farmer yield and expenditure data to determine our annual impact on our clients’ farm income compared with a representative control group.
- Boost Enrollment: Design and oversee focus groups and surveys with both prospective and returning clients to better understand their product and service needs, and to responsiveness to our marketing strategies.
- Administration: Design and manage operational controls around our finance processes for our rapidly growing team of over 100 full time in-country staff.
- Mobile Money: Transition both our expense and farmer repayment systems to a mobile money platform.
- Sustainability: Evaluate our program’s financial sustainability metrics and provide recommendations to improve them.
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager and a global support team will commit significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions.
We are seeking exceptional professionals with 1 to 3 years of work experience, and a demonstrated long-‐term passion for development work. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Work Experience: Candidates should have 1-‐3 years of strong work experiences, including project management, team management, or entrepreneurial experiences. Candidates should be comfortable working in a fast-‐paced, innovative, results-‐driven environment.
- Leadership: We are looking for candidates with demonstrated leadership experience at work, or outside of work. Examples of demonstrated leadership experience include managing a team or initiating a new project.
- Education: Strong undergraduate background at top Malawian or international university. Degrees in agriculture, business, management, social sciences, community development, or related fields preferred.
- Communication: Excellent written and oral communication.
- Humility. We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service to join our growing family of leaders.
- Rural Fit. A willingness to commit to work with rural communities for at least two years.
- Other Skills: Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Intermediate or better typing speed.
- Language: Chichewa and English.
Preferred Start Date
We offer a modest starting salary that affords a high quality of life in our areas of operation. This is a career-track role with performance-based raises and the ability to expand responsibilities over time.
Note: We will not be able to sponsor a visa for this position.
Back to top